What's new

Pro 3 keyboard work on Pro 4 ?

chillcat34433

I'm currently using a pro 3 keyboard on my new pro 4 and it seems to work fine. I am, however, not happy with the performance of this machine and so I was wondering if using an incorrect keyboard could cause issues. thankyou

MickeyLittle

I'm currently using a pro 3 keyboard on my new pro 4 and it seems to work fine. I am, however, not happy with the performance of this machine and so I was wondering if using an incorrect keyboard could cause issues. thankyou

I don't believe the keyboard is an issue. I do seem to remember that the SP3 was 12.0 and the SP4 was 12.3 so it doesn't quite cover the screen fully but not noticeable.

One thing you can do to verify if it is your keyboard is just don't use the keyboard for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference. Also have you tried a cold boot? Sometimes that seems to do wonders.

Power the Surface down first, don't know if that is required or not but that's how I do it. Then press and hold both the volume up button and the power switch and don't release them until you see the 'Surface' logo. Then in a few seconds when the next screen pops up you want to click "Exit" and then "Restart"

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keyboard will have no effect. If the machine is new then it may be slower while it performs various updates and background tasks in the first few days.

OP
C

chillcat34433

No it sure didn't. The file explorer windows freeze up and run very slow when loading. Whereas on my Pro 3 i5 I never had slow issues. Hoping it is just updates needing put in place. Exploring hard-drive data, the icons on items sometimes takes it time to show up. Gonna continue with any updates. Even under TaskManager/performance I don't see the cpu going extreme while running tasks.

MickeyLittle

Bummer. If it is not too much trouble you may want to wipe it and start fresh. Just back up your data and realize this may take 3-6 hours just depending on how many apps you have to re-download and your Wi-Fi speed. If you have good speed it shouldn't take long at all.

If you have any programs requiring registration codes have them handy as well.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A "Reset" (keep my files but just re-install Windows) might be the right thing to do.