What's new

Pro 3 Not for Google Users

Heresteve2

Hello all,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I just bought the Surface 3 and it hasn't been 24 hours and I'm ready to return it. I am a heavy Google account user, my personal email is Gmail, my work uses Gmail, Google Calendars, Hangouts, and Drive.

I've searched high and low and cannot find anything suitable to use these apps easily. Am I missing something?
I realize that an Android tablet would make the most sense, but I really wanted something with a pen and really like OneNote. I thought I could find some good workarounds for Google apps, but other than launching the browser every time there isn't anything. I can setup one Gmail account through the Microsoft Mail App but not the second. And even if I could I don't like the setup of the mail app. IT doesn't have the priority, Promotion, Updates tabs that I am so used to now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum,

However you would use those functions on a desktop the same should work on your Surface. If you are looking for the same type of apps you would get on an Android tablet/phone you're mostly out of luck as this is Windows, not Android. I use all of those on a desktop Windows system just a different way.

OP
H

Heresteve2

I'm not sure the perfect device is out there for me. I wanted something with a stylus for note taking, but also the software we use at work Requires Silverlight. The closest thing I guess is the Samsung Note 10.1. Maybe I just need to wait and see if something else comes out in the next few years. This device would be ideal if it only had the Google suite of apps. Frustrating

BillsCarnage

You won't be able to do any Google stuff in metro; there are not any official Google metro apps (and likely won't be anytime soon) outside of their search.

However you can use the desktop and access Google stuff that way. Such as Google sync or drive sync.

Akairu

Have you looked into emulator software like Bluestacks?
Would give you all the gApps you might need.
I have only used it a few times but its seems like a good option for Android use while maintaining all other functionality of the SP3. Just make sure you get a launcher like Nova or which ever you prefer. The main Bluestacks launcher isn't all that great.

OP
H

Heresteve2

Have you looked into emulator software like Bluestacks?
Would give you all the gApps you might need.
I have only used it a few times but its seems like a good option for Android use while maintaining all other functionality of the SP3. Just make sure you get a launcher like Nova or which ever you prefer. The main Bluestacks launcher isn't all that great.
I have been playing with blue stacks. Really just an app launch though. I would like something that will notify me if someone sends a hangout message or email.

leeshor

Again, I must mention that Hangouts is not a problem nor are the notifications. You can install any app, including Hangouts that you would install on a PC.