What's new

Pro 3 Not for Google Users

Seneleron

As for the mail. I too endorse Thunderbird. It handles multiple accounts for IMAP and/or POP and can do either separate inboxes or a combined inbox, but no Metro UI.

I realize Windows mail isn't the greatest app in the world. . .but it DOES natively support gmail accounts.

And for the O/P, the latest editions of chrome stay running even when the browser is closed [with permission] to transmit your hangouts/G+, etc.

I can't help with three separate hangout accounts tho. You log into gmail with that account and it's just there.

I'm not even sure how you set up three separate "hangouts accounts" in Android o_O

M

ManUnited

I am in a similar situation; however, not as bad as the OP describes. I teach full-time at a University that uses Microsoft as its backend. The school gives Office and OneDrive for Business to all its students. That is why I am interested in the SP3.

In addition, I teach as an online adjunct for another school, which uses Google as its backend. This is problematic. Here's what I have to do:

1) Use the stock Windows app for Gmail. I have three different Gmail accounts and they all sync wonderfully. Yes, the features do not compare to Gmail in a browser, but at least I do not have to jump into the desktop just to answer students' questions.

2) For calendaring, I use OneCalendar, which, again, keeps me in the Metro environment for scheduling. Again, the app is not as functional as Google in the browser, but it is quicker.

3) Hangouts and Google Drive present an issue. I teach Public Speaking and all my students use Google Hangouts. There is no real solution in the Metro environment. I just use Chrome in the desktop. However, we only use Hangouts for speeches, which are scheduled for a certain time. We do not use Hangouts for unscheduled communication. If you use Hangouts in that manner, I can see the problem of always being in the desktop.

The same goes for my Composition classes. Students write in Google Drive so I use the Desktop and Chrome to collaborate with them.

The Chrome for Metro is very poor and useless for Google Apps. I found less headaches in using the Desktop.

(Full disclosure — I have been using a Dell Venue Pro 8, which I just sold, as I am purchasing a SP3. In addition, I was using a Nexus 7 as my Google device. Going from two to one device is what has me intrigued about the SP3; however, there are some major hurdles when trying to get Microsoft and Google to cooperate, especially in the Metro environment.)

Hope this assists. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

leeshor

I dont need one app for all those apps. The hangouts that you linked to is a chrome extension and I do not see any way to add multiple accounts. Do you use that for more then one account? Thanks for the help!

Kinda, sorta. The Hangouts program I use is a standalone program and though Chrome needs to be installed and will run in the background, it does work and Chrome doesn't need to be open as an active, (foreground), process.

I neglected to mention some additional features of Thunderbird. It can fully integrate with Google, tasks, 2-way contact sync, calendar sync and more. I have quite a few customers currently using Thunderbird, or Outlook, as their front end for Google Mail. Outlook will get the same or similar job done but you would need to purchase an inexpensive add-on for Outlook to get the syncing. Thunderbird is free.

So, going back to your original post, all of what you said you needed to do can be done using as few as 2 programs. But as has been pointed out, there are other options.

kristalsoldier

Did you try the Adobe Reader Touch? its Free in the store. let us know what you think if you try it.

Thanks, but I have tried it and but found it to be less featured than Drawboard which is why I bought the latter. It works wonderfully on my SP3.

Edit: Also, I am need to do inking on my PDF documents and Adobe Reader Touch does not seem to allow that. I just tried the latest version. Touch yes, inking, no! But inking in Drawboard PDF is automatic and quite well executed.

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

I realize Windows mail isn't the greatest app in the world. . .but it DOES natively support gmail accounts.
Not entirely. Google dropped support for EAS last year and the mail app won't work with many corp accounts because of this.

A previous post in this thread recommended Metromail and OneCalendar.

I've tried these out now and OneCalendar worlds like a charm.

MetroMail works too, but is still a bit buggy, but I'm happy to be able to get my corp Gmail on the Surface again.

Sanjay

Does anyone know of a way to add multiple Gmail accounts to the mail app?
Yes. You simply add additional gMail accounts like you do the first gMail account. I personally have four gMail accounts configured in the default Windows 8.1 Mail app.

Last edited:

leeshor

Google also used to have a connector add-on for Outlook that would sync with Google, they discontinued that too, but there are some paid 3rd party programs. Google digs at MS and MS digs back.

K

Katmandoo122

This is what I hate about what Apple brought to computing. Now people think that if they don't have an "app," they can't use it. Google tools work just fine in the SP3, people. Do you know why? Because the SP3 is a PC!!! MS needs to rename Metro to "App Land" or something so that people recognize that just because there isn't an Gmail app doesn't mean they suddenly can't use Gmail!

I do wish Google would release a Windows Gmail app or that Windows Mail would use Google's category sorting but at any time I can get to my Google Gmail/Calendar/Drive/etc by typing it into my browser address bar (or saving it to my Metro if I must).

malberttoo

Google also used to have a connector add-on for Outlook that would sync with Google, they discontinued that too, but there are some paid 3rd party programs. Google digs at MS and MS digs back.

I believe that Google has taken major strides to eliminate all interoperability between their products, and Microsoft's, except through the web.

Removing Exchange support from Gmail was so lame.