What's new

Pro 4 vs. Surface Book vs. iPad Pro...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
SP4 quoted at 9 hours battery life. Wasn't this the same figure used for the SP3? If so, shouldn't we see a better bump in battery life moving to the 6th gen processor even though the screen is .3" larger?
... and the battery size is ???

Kris

This is going to be a hard one. $1300 for the SP4 I would want, plus $130 for the keyboard and $60 for the pen. A total of $1490. Or $1900 for the Surface book I would want, plus $60 for the pen so total of $1960. Either one would be a serious upgrade from my SP3 I3...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is going to be a hard one. $1300 for the SP4 I would want, plus $130 for the keyboard and $60 for the pen. A total of $1490. Or $1900 for the Surface book I would want, plus $60 for the pen so total of $1960. Either one would be a serious upgrade from my SP3 I3...

Why account for the pen? It's included in both.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the Pen was included.

zhenya

Hmm. Now I am wondering what the actual battery life is for the 'tablet' portion of the Surface Book is. In the demo it looks like there might be a lot of empty space in there which could account for the light weight. 6 hours would be ok. 2 hours or though would be a disappointment. Anyone find anything?

Kris

Why account for the pen? It's included in both.
I thought I read that the pen wasn't included. If it is that's great. Still a hard choice. Wife is trying to see if I could sell my SP3 I3 for $400(no keyboard), after today that might be hard to do.

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

Hmm. Now I am wondering what the actual battery life is for the 'tablet' portion of the Surface Book is. In the demo it looks like there might be a lot of empty space in there which could account for the light weight. 6 hours would be ok. 2 hours or though would be a disappointment. Anyone find anything?

6 hours battery life would be a deal breaker for me... I could do 9 or 10. I'd prefer 12... but what makes you think 6? or 2 for that matter? I think with 2 hour battery life "disappointment" is an understatement!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

The stuff I've read makes it sound like the screen is actually just a larger surface, with more space for cooling because of the lack of ports and kickstand, and that the bottom is pretty much a dock with the additional gpu, keyboard, ports, and extra batteries. It'll be interesting to see a tear down.

zhenya

6 hours battery life would be a deal breaker for me... I could do 9 or 10. I'd prefer 12... but what makes you think 6? or 2 for that matter? I think with 2 hour battery life "disappointment" is an understatement!

Because of this picture:
surface book tablet battery.png

vs. this picture.

surface book keyboard battery.png

OP
quadtronix

quadtronix

I see what you mean but don't forget that the Surface Book's tablet half is larger than the SP4 accounting for some of that extra space you see in the image. Also I don't see a 10hour difference there... I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it was 2 or even 6 hours battery life. Lets hope it's more in line with the SP4's 12hrs...

:)