What's new

Pro 4 vs. Surface Book vs. iPad Pro...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, well its a "Laptop" first.
Works with screen flipped and folded down, very similar to the way Windows Tablets worked in the pre iPad days but with the added ability to remove the screen and work for a short time (meeting, presentation etc.) It's not intended as the Primary mode as that's why it a Laptop with a discrete GPU.

This will be perfect for some and not for others, that's what choice is all about.

There's always the VAIO Z Canvas :)

zhenya

Someone on Reddit who is at the Adobe MAX conference where they were giving hands-on demonstrations says that Microsoft says 6 hours for the tablet half alone.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone on Reddit who is at the Adobe MAX conference where they were giving hands-on demonstrations says that Microsoft says 6 hours for the tablet half alone.
Maybe for a light task in advanced power saving mode :)

I can't wait for the complaints to come in... I only got an hour running X (high end game or 3D Modeling) and could only get 20 fps, it's a POS. :)

zhenya

Maybe for a light task in advanced power saving mode :)

I can't wait for the complaints to come in... I only got an hour running X (high end game or 3D Modeling) and could only get 20 fps, it's a POS. :)

Splitting it 6/6 would make sense logically, but I'm still not convinced based on those pictures I posted earlier. Also, given that my '9-hour' SP3 gets 5.5 hours long-term average, that would translate to about 7-8 hours total for the Surface Book and 3-4, tops, even if it's an even split for the tablet.

zhenya

That would certainly make sense - and would make the device a lot more usable if you could periodically pull it off the base throughout the day with it having been topped off each time. I hope so!

Buddy16

This is going to be a hard one. $1300 for the SP4 I would want, plus $130 for the keyboard and $60 for the pen. A total of $1490. Or $1900 for the Surface book I would want, plus $60 for the pen so total of $1960. Either one would be a serious upgrade from my SP3 I3...
The pen is included in the price when you buy a Surface Pro or Surface Book.. So you don't need to buy it separately

Dim-Ize

I don't see where some people or getting the idea there is an additional battery in the keyboard.

If you watch the video in zhenya's post, #41 above, you will hear the description. As you probably know, some time ago MS launched the battery keyboard. It worked with the SP line and extended the battery life. It was essentially the Type Cover with an additional battery stuck in there. It is my humble opinion a similar but far more elegant solution exists with the new base of the SB and it goes beyond typing / battery enhancement.

nogridbag

In the "Inside the Surface Book" article I linked in the SB forum, where they interviewed Panos Panay, it mentions the display has 4 hours of battery and the base has 8 hours. I don't know anything about battery tech - I wonder if it's smart enough to deplete the battery in the base first?