What's new

Pro Charger - Missed Oportunity

Nuspieds

In my opinion, the Surface wasn't designed for moving between docked and mobile.
First and foremost, I, too, would like to have a traditional docking station in which I simply attach my device to a peripheral-connected unit ("docking station"). Furthermore, due to the design of the connection of the touch/type cover to the Surface Pro, I am lead to believe that this will be possible/forthcoming in the future.

However, as I have had to do, toss your definition of the "traditional" docking station! :) Instead, move ahead with building your own docking station via a USB 3 hub, as I have successfully done. That's what J5150P is referring to; in other words, you can create your own docking station, less the power/charging cable, via a USB 3 hub. In that case, what's the issue?

Trust me, I'm no stranger to docking stations because I've relied on them throughout my many years using an IBM/Lenovo laptop. But when I got wind of the Surface Pro specs, my first thoughts were, "How in the world am I going to replace this ThinkPad W700 and duplicate the exact (hardware) functionality?" Well, low and behold, I started my research and I discovered PC technology that I thought didn't even exist! :)

So, in my setup, when I "dock," I plug in the USB hub, the Surface Pro power cable, and then the DisplayPort cable. Again, much like my ThinkPad W700, I wish I could "click-connect" my Surface Pro to a traditional docking station instead of my Type Cover, but then again, no other true tablet does that today (including the market leader), so I am satisfied--for now--building my own "docking" station. The only ones that dock are laptops/ultrabook laptops; therefore, the lack of the traditional docking station for the Surface Pro is definitely not a fault nor hindrance in this first implementation.

As there are many people like myself who replace their laptops/primary PCs with the Surface Pro , I expect a traditional docking station in the future. In the meantime, however, the fact that I can assemble my own docking station via a USB hub is certainly no reason to disqualify the Surface Pro as my PC replacement.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Basically what Nuspieds said. I'm not questioning your opinion. If the Surface isn't the device for you, fine move on to something with a docking station and don't complain about what isn't. It is very likely a docking station is coming but it doesn't exist now. You can even do display through usb (displayport is better but more cables) for a two plug solution. The charger is magnetic so you don't even need to unplug. Just grab and go. That is two cables to plug in, power and usb and one to unplug, usb. Again if that is simply too much for you to handle then move onto a nice chunky enterprise docking unit ;)

bosamar

Basically what Nuspieds said. I'm not questioning your opinion. If the Surface isn't the device for you, fine move on to something with a docking station and don't complain about what isn't. It is very likely a docking station is coming but it doesn't exist now. You can even do display through usb (displayport is better but more cables) for a two plug solution. The charger is magnetic so you don't even need to unplug. Just grab and go. That is two cables to plug in, power and usb and one to unplug, usb. Again if that is simply too much for you to handle then move onto a nice chunky enterprise docking unit ;)
During my first three years with U.S. Treasury I was on the road 2-3 times per month flying cross-country. I had a ThinkPad w/docking station in our Headquarters with a large monitor work station. But while on those trips I can tell you it was a PITA carrying that laptop through airports. I actually think I could now get by on-the-road with just my RT. We had offices throughout the country and a desktop was always available on the other end. On the flip side I would not want to revise a huge PowerPoint presentation in my hotel room using a Surface.

J515OP

Super Moderator
During my first three years with U.S. Treasury I was on the road 2-3 times per month flying cross-country. I had a ThinkPad w/docking station in our Headquarters with a large monitor work station. But while on those trips I can tell you it was a PITA carrying that laptop through airports. I actually think I could now get by on-the-road with just my RT. We had offices throughout the country and a desktop was always available on the other end. On the flip side I would not want to revise a huge PowerPoint presentation in my hotel room using a Surface.

No problem these days. Mini hdmi to hdmi to the rooms tv. Nice big screen for excel or power point or whatever :)

Intangir

Time to make a charging monstrosity of a cable. 5 2amp USB connections merged into the surface pro charger . Completely and utterly useless, but would be kind of funny.
McGuiver skills +1

machistmo

I bought the Dell S2340T Touch Screen Adjustable Monitor with Dock Built in. I LOVE this Monitor / Dock. I do think MS should release a "drop in" dock ASAP. The TPT2 has one with USB2, HDMI, Ethernet 10/100 only,Power and Sound and that Device is 650$ price pointed. I am feeling like MS needs to get a clue here and will be very upset to see them release a second gen unit all fleshed out while leaving this model out in the cold.

ThinkPad Tablet 2 Dock (US) | Lenovo | (US)

elee532

If the Surface isn't the device for you, fine move on to something with a docking station and don't complain about what isn't.

Didn't mean to come across as complaining. Was just trying to share my opinion of what would make the Surface a better fit for my needs.

elee532

The TPT2 has one with USB2, HDMI, Ethernet 10/100 only,Power and Sound

Interesting. I won't go down the Atom road again after my experience with the HP Slate. However, maybe the forthcoming Lenovo Helix will have a dock similar to that TPT2 dock.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I am feeling like MS needs to get a clue here and will be very upset to see them release a second gen unit all fleshed out while leaving this model out in the cold.

Unfortunately this is very often what happens. V2 usually has enough design changes to make v1 not work with the V2 stuff. Whether on purpose or through poor planning I would not be surprised to see changes that don't work across generations. On the other hand the design of the power pins on the Surface may be good enough that it doesn't get changed making v1 and V2 compatible.