What's new

Pro Charger - Missed Oportunity

T3Jn

OK - so today set up the pro as my laptop replacement at the office. USB3 Hub, external HDD and Monitor, plugged in the charger, USB Hub and Micro DP, all worked really well - apart from the scaling on the external monitor - only when you plug in a monitor you are used to (in this case a 24" 1900x1200 job) do you realise just how much real estate you lose. Right now I think the alternate font size on external monitors would be my highest priority on the MS Surface Fix list.

Anyway - one thing I do think is that the charger USB is a real missed opportunity, if the USB port on the charger was fully functional rather than just providing power you could have a really tidy single cable docking solution - just by plugging in the charger. It's a great idea being able to charge another device from it, but going that step further would be tidy!

lkailburn

I think the fact that they even thought of adding a USB charging port to the charger is fantastic. I've never owned a device that has that before so i'm happy as is :)

Intangir

I wonder if it would be possible to McGuire up a rig to connect the proprietary charging cable to a USB3 connector instead of the power brick. That way charging could be done via the PC's usb3 port while still leaving the Pro's usb3 port open for use.

OP
T

T3Jn

I wonder if it would be possible to McGuire up a rig to connect the proprietary charging cable to a USB3 connector instead of the power brick. That way charging could be done via the PC's usb3 port while still leaving the Pro's usb3 port open for use.

I did wonder about that, but right now it's handy for a USB WiFi dongle that works :)

gangolfus

What J515OP said. You would need 10 amps at 5V to charge the SP. Plus a transformer from 5V to 12V. Even the 4 port USB chargers I've seen don't put out that much power.

elee532

a really tidy single cable docking solution - just by plugging in the charger.
I bought the surface hoping it could become my primary computer. Unfortunately, the lack of a dock or single cable docking solution is preventing this. Not sure I'm keeping the Pro as a result. Feels like such a missed opportunity for the
Surface to distinguish itself.

Intangir

What J515OP said. You would need 10 amps at 5V to charge the SP. Plus a transformer from 5V to 12V. Even the 4 port USB chargers I've seen don't put out that much power.

Is that also try for USB3.0? I know on my PC's BIOS has a couple of options regarding USB3 charging, but I haven't really much reason to delve into that yet.
Although 10A is quite a bit for a PSU. I think it might work though, if USB 3.0 charging is done at 12V, but again, I haven't read much on it yet.

Even if the USBport is unable to charge the SP, it would slow down the power drain a bit, making the battery life a bit better in situations where you have access to a PC but don't want to carry the power brick.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I bought the surface hoping it could become my primary computer. Unfortunately, the lack of a dock or single cable docking solution is preventing this. Not sure I'm keeping the Pro as a result. Feels like such a missed opportunity for the
Surface to distinguish itself.

Well this sounds pretty silly to disqualify the Surface over. You can have a two cable solution. USB 3 to hub to everything else and a power cable. Is that so bad?

Is that also try for USB3.0? I know on my PC's BIOS has a couple of options regarding USB3 charging, but I haven't really much reason to delve into that yet.
Although 10A is quite a bit for a PSU. I think it might work though, if USB 3.0 charging is done at 12V, but again, I haven't read much on it yet.

Even if the USBport is unable to charge the SP, it would slow down the power drain a bit, making the battery life a bit better in situations where you have access to a PC but don't want to carry the power brick.

Can't be done.

elee532

Well this sounds pretty silly to disqualify the Surface over. You can have a two cable solution. USB 3 to hub to everything else and a power cable.

All due respect, judging my what my personal requirements and preferences are is pretty silly. I move from my desk to mobile/meetings 3, 4, 5 times per day. Tinkering with multiple cables each time... especially this horrible power connector is cumbersome and will inhibit my use. Moreover, I understand that the scaling issue adds another layer of complexity. In my opinion, the Surface wasn't designed for moving between docked and mobile. A real shame... IN MY OPINION