What's new

Pro overheated, won't power back on

jeffskent

Please excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that you can use the SP to draw on while it is playing a Netflix video on the external monitor? I'm surprised that it can do that at all. I would have expected the cpu to shut down from overheating, but what do I know? :)

OP
I

Intangir

My pro overheated again, but this time it gave a warning. I run active cooling all the time, as I dont mind the fan noise. I have a theory as to why it is overheating. I alays keep the type cover connected, and fold it back when I want to use it as a tablet. Perhaps the cover is preveting heat dissapation on the back of the Pro, due to the cover acting as insulation?

J515OP

Super Moderator
My pro overheated again, but this time it gave a warning. I run active cooling all the time, as I dont mind the fan noise. I have a theory as to why it is overheating. I alays keep the type cover connected, and fold it back when I want to use it as a tablet. Perhaps the cover is preveting heat dissapation on the back of the Pro, due to the cover acting as insulation?

It is possible but I would be very surprised if this is the case particularly if you are using the fans. Overheating probably has more to do with how heavy you are taxing the processor and ambient heat (sun light/hot day) than anything else. If you are overheating pretty consistently on minimal tasks I would suggest looking into a replacement as that does not sound normal. Maybe they forgot the thermal paste in yours or something random like that.

prscarp

Can you see what the temps are getting up to and let us know? Use something like HWMonitor
HWMonitor - CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

ccny00

I only had my Pro over heat once...but i was outside on the beach in the Sun Surfing the web. I have played SimCity 2013 for almost an entire day active and letting it run and it got hot, but never shut off due to over heating. I think you might have to return it an get a new one.

I just brought it in to the club house let it cool down so it wasn't hot any more, it booted right back up

machistmo

I have never had heat issues but I have also not done any of the above to my Surface. I use it for business and posting and playing free games.

Andy bird

We had a very scary couple of hours after one of the kids left our surface pro 2 in the conservatory on the hottest day of the year.. there was no way it was going to boot.. it was too hot to pick up.

After a lot of Googling I eventually held the power button down for 30 seconds.. then, keeping the power button pressed down, held the volume Up button for 15 seconds. Then finally the logo flashed up.. never been so glad to see it.. really thought it was dead.

after that it was simply a case of pressing the power on button

jetstreamblue

I had a scary moment the other day as well. I had put my SP with power cover to sleep, then put in my Snugg leather case, and slipped that into my back pack. A few hours later, I was horrified when I reached into my bag and felt the case was hot. Pulled the SP out and it was burning hot! Power cover battery was drained and device down to 50%. Immediately removed the cover and put the SP in front of a fan to cool off. Surprisingly the machine seemed to be humming along just fine all the while. What I don't understand is how this happened given I have sleep after 30 minutes enabled. Even if it has woken up accidentally it should have gone back to sleep... I now hibernate before putting it away.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had a scary moment the other day as well. I had put my SP with power cover to sleep, then put in my Snugg leather case, and slipped that into my back pack. A few hours later, I was horrified when I reached into my bag and felt the case was hot. Pulled the SP out and it was burning hot! Power cover battery was drained and device down to 50%. Immediately removed the cover and put the SP in front of a fan to cool off. Surprisingly the machine seemed to be humming along just fine all the while. What I don't understand is how this happened given I have sleep after 30 minutes enabled. Even if it has woken up accidentally it should have gone back to sleep... I now hibernate before putting it away.
Something either prevented from entering into Sleep or something woke it up...it happens occasionally.