What's new

Pro Users pay for everything

Striknine

With the news of 8.1 preview dropping it seems unfair that Win RT users get not only a free keyboard, but also a free outlook app. Why do the surface pro users have to pay for the outlook? I guess after paying $1200 dollars for the pro and keyboard they figure we have the money. At least they made the One note app a free download.

Nuspieds

The Surface Pro is a PC running Windows; meaning that it already has millions upon millions upon millions of users and software. If Outlook is that important to you, buy it; otherwise, you can choose a cheaper/free alternative from the tons of Windows email clients that already exist.

RT is a different beast and of course they have to throw things in to try to entice consumers and make it a viable platform.

mitchellvii

Different target market. Professionals buying the SP have bank and kids buying the RT don't. Also, of course, the RT isn't selling worth s***.

Krooked

Different target market. Professionals buying the SP have bank and kids buying the RT don't. Also, of course, the RT isn't selling worth s***.

Exactly.

I'm sure some RT users are happy with their purchase, but honestly, I don't see the appeal considering what you get for the money when you buy the SP.

ArnoldC

The RT does everything I need to do business, and with the availability of Outlook RT, it as complete as I want it to be. My Acer S3 is dedicated to running Hyper-V.

Krooked

The RT does everything I need to do business, and with the availability of Outlook RT, it as complete as I want it to be. My Acer S3 is dedicated to running Hyper-V.

I guess I sounded like an ass in my last post and I apologize for that.

Different strokes for different folks. I needed to replace a laptop and for me the SP was my best option.

mace2442

I got one of each and I use the RT as tablet doing lighter stuff.
The pro is a small laptop in my eyes.
I actually got the RT plus touch keyboard bundle plus a "naked" pro and I must say that i use the touch cover a lot more on the pro.
Putting it basic I consume information on the RT and i Create on the PRO

OP
S

Striknine

The Surface Pro is a PC running Windows; meaning that it already has millions upon millions upon millions of users and software. If Outlook is that important to you, buy it; otherwise, you can choose a cheaper/free alternative from the tons of Windows email clients that already exist.

RT is a different beast and of course they have to throw things in to try to entice consumers and make it a viable platform.

I am just saying, if they are making it available for free they should do so for both surface computers. I do own the 2010 Office with Outlook but would like to use outlook in metro app form.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It comes down to how Office is Licensed, Office 2013 RT Home and Student is Licensed only for personal non-commercial use and requires an EA with Software Assurance or an Office365 with at least an E1 Business subscription to use the RT version for commercial use. So quite honestly RT users aren't getting a free ride...

Nuspieds

I am just saying, if they are making it available for free they should do so for both surface computers. I do own the 2010 Office with Outlook but would like to use outlook in metro app form.
Have you seen some of the news that came out of their Build conference? That development is already in progress. Furthermore, there's no doubt the redesign of the Office 2013 UI was done with the Tablet in mind. It's certainly not the Modern UI, but it certainly is a heck of a lot easier to use in tablet mode, if that's what you ever wanted/needed to do at times.