What's new

Pro vs. Pro 2 usable storage

ahfunaki

So I just picked up a 128GB Surface Pro.

I came across this on the Microsoft website: Microsoft Surface storage | Surface disk space | How much disk space on Surface

Can anyone tell me why even though they have the same size SSD the Pro gets 89GB of usable storage, and the Pro 2 gets 97GB?

Is it just the included software? Is there any way to flash the Pro 2 recovery to the Pro? I tried to search but didn't really come up with much.

I apologize if this has been talked about before.

Thanks in advance!

LinkRS

Hi Ahfunaki,

I don't have, or have access too a Surface Pro 2, but I may be able to offer some insight. The Surface Pro ships with Windows 8 Professional, and the Surface Pro 2 ships with Windows 8.1 Professional. One of the touted features of Win 8.1 Pro is that it uses less disk space than vanilla Win 8 Pro. I would imagine the discrepancy you noted might be based on that. If you upgrade the Surface Pro to Windows 8.1, and then remove the backup files (happen when you do an upgrade), the free space should be similar. I didn't take note prior to my upgrade to Windows 8.1, but I did notice extra disk space after the upgrade. Good luck!

Rich S.

Note also that they are different SSD models, so some discrepancy is expected. Not sure how much is attributable to Windows, how much to the SSD, etc.