What's new

Pro3 Battery Drain overnight in standby

Martyn

Hi

I've read through many of the posts on battery drain but I'm still at a loss on why I'm having this issue

I put my Pro3 in standby when I go to bed and often anything between 11-18% battery drain overnight. Understand after 4 hrs it goes into hibernation so i'm losing 18% battery in 4 hrs!!!

I've checked mail in on manual sync and I have turned off live tiles but this still occurrs. I've ran the powercfg reports but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Can anyone offer any advice / guidance

Regards

Martyn

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 643
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 590

nipponham

Your sleep study shows the USB 3.0 port being active. Do you have a dongle or something connected to it?

OP
M

Martyn

No dongle...no usb connected device. I'm wondering if a reset to defaults is worth it but I have it configured with software exactly how I want it and concerned I'll get the same issue again.

I did wonder if it could be bluetooth related but this controller is USB as you say

nipponham

Have you used a USB device and installed its specific driver? If so, I would delete them and check sleep performance. If everything seems ok, reinstall the drivers one by one until your problem reappears so you can pinpoint which driver is at fault.

OP
M

Martyn

thanks for the advice

only usb. devices I've connected are printer mouse and usb stick

but they don't stay connected in standby

ill remove the devices and see how it goes

thanks

nipponham

The devices don't need to be constantly plugged in to the USB port for it to be awake if the driver is corrupt or incompatible with it. Go to Device manager and delete the device driver and then delete the device itself just to make sure that it doesn't do an automatic driver update. Reboot and then check your sleep performance.

psnative

why don't you just shut it off? only takes a few seconds to turn back on. I've always had issues with sleep/standby with windows.

OP
M

Martyn

Just a quick update and to say I seem to have resolved the sleep battery usage issue...performed a refresh of the surface pro 3 and now after 4 hrs it goes into hibernation and uses approx. 1% battery life

Thanks