What's new

Pro3: Onenote sync problem

wynand32

It uses the same engine, this also controls the Office Document Cache's sync engine....

Alrighty. Not sure of what the "batch" setting would do for OneNote though, except maybe for an initial database sync? After that it's synced very granularly (e.g., basically, every character change).

No biggie, just a curiosity to me.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Alrighty. Not sure of what the "batch" setting would do for OneNote though, except maybe for an initial database sync? After that it's synced very granularly (e.g., basically, every character change).

No biggie, just a curiosity to me.
OP has a large OneNote Notebook that isn't syncing at all....batch uploads uses more bandwidth and the ISP may be throttling or blocking large uploads...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe there is a bug relating to sync speed? On Tuesday i was on a 200mbs connection and decided to use mui onenote, and it was taking about a minute to sync each page of a new pdf printout from the desktop version. I've experienced the same thing on onenote for android as well "hang on, we're getting your notes". Nope, no you're not.

bryanthebold

Maybe there is a bug relating to sync speed? On Tuesday i was on a 200mbs connection and decided to use mui onenote, and it was taking about a minute to sync each page of a new pdf printout from the desktop version. I've experienced the same thing on onenote for android as well "hang on, we're getting your notes". Nope, no you're not.

I have been experiencing similar issues. Plain pages seem to sync fine but whenever I use print outs it fails to upload or takes forever to complete. It seemed to work before...

mtghambot

Its a OneDrive Setting:
View attachment 5607

Ok, I'm feeling really stupid right now for asking this, but where do I find this setting in windows 8.1?

I've looked for a while and can't find it.

I also have a 190MB notebook that was syncing perfectly. Now it is glacially slow - I'm still waiting for it to sync a 130 page printout and it hasn't finished it all over the past 3 days.

To test the file size theory, I made a brand new section with just this printout in it and nothing else. It takes forever even though the file to by synced is only 20MB. This all worked very quickly up until the end of June 2015 and I haven't changed what I do at all.

I have to operate this way as other teachers make the notes which I then print to a notebook and annotate along with my students. All my annotations are in a shared notebook which they can access when sick. So please don't tell me to stop using printouts etc. as it worked perfectly for 6 months and has now come to a grinding halt. I would like to change the sync setting - if only I could find it!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'm feeling really stupid right now for asking this, but where do I find this setting in windows 8.1?

I've looked for a while and can't find it.

I also have a 190MB notebook that was syncing perfectly. Now it is glacially slow - I'm still waiting for it to sync a 130 page printout and it hasn't finished it all over the past 3 days.

To test the file size theory, I made a brand new section with just this printout in it and nothing else. It takes forever even though the file to by synced is only 20MB. This all worked very quickly up until the end of June 2015 and I haven't changed what I do at all.

I have to operate this way as other teachers make the notes which I then print to a notebook and annotate along with my students. All my annotations are in a shared notebook which they can access when sick. So please don't tell me to stop using printouts etc. as it worked perfectly for 6 months and has now come to a grinding halt. I would like to change the sync setting - if only I could find it!
Sorry....I don't have any Windows 8.1 machines left, all are running Windows 10 and that is completely different. Right Click on the OneDrive Icon in the task tray and select settings.

mtghambot

I found those settings... but they don't have that performance option that you outlined in the windows 10 settings.

Does this option exist in windows 8.1?

I don't know what is going on with sync - half the pages say they haven't synced yet. I had a lesson today where I annotated 8 pages, but only half of them synced to be viewable on my onenote online, and only 2 of them are viewable by students with a sharing link.

I even created a brand new little notebook to test this stuff, as I though filesize may be the problem. But it also takes forever to sync anything. This wasn't a problem at all just 2 months ago! I wonder what happened... maybe windows 10 installs by the millions are bringing onedrive to its knees?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I found those settings... but they don't have that performance option that you outlined in the windows 10 settings.

Does this option exist in windows 8.1?

I don't know what is going on with sync - half the pages say they haven't synced yet. I had a lesson today where I annotated 8 pages, but only half of them synced to be viewable on my onenote online, and only 2 of them are viewable by students with a sharing link.

I even created a brand new little notebook to test this stuff, as I though filesize may be the problem. But it also takes forever to sync anything. This wasn't a problem at all just 2 months ago! I wonder what happened... maybe windows 10 installs by the millions are bringing onedrive to its knees?
To be safe prior to doing what I'm going to recommend, export any of the notes that haven't properly synced first. next from the "Run" Command (hit the windows key and type run and hit enter) type this command in the Run dialog box:

onenote.exe /safeboot

From the screen that pops up, delete your OneNote cache then close OneNote, pause syncing for OneDrive (or reboot and skip the pausing), restart OneDrive syncing.

Launch OneNote and see if syncing is working as expected.

If any notes are missing you have them via your exporting earlier....