What's new

problem in windows restore after upgrade my surface pro to win 8.1

nimatoday

problem in windows restore after upgrade my surface pro to win 8.1

hello

yesterday when I upgrade my surface pro from 8 to 8.1 and i update it and it update to new firmware when I want to restore it to win 8

I do these step

Step 1: Attach a bootable USB device to the USB port.
Step 2: Press and hold the volume-down (–) rocker.
Step 3: Press and release the power button.
Step 4:
When the Surface logo appears, release the volume rocker. Surface will start the software on your USB device.

and I select Remove everything and reinstall Windows

but it go to 82% and show me error

I repeat this 5 or 6

in last the usb back up is remove and I did not have any back up

(when i turn it on i only the uefi page and the windows is gone)

any one know

what should I do?

could i install any version of windows in it ( 8 or 8.1)

please help me

terente0081

Is your Windows installation still working, can you boot in Wndows or it's been deleted already? If you still have the old Windows installation you're in luck. If you can't boot in Windows any longer then I can give some help in regards to installing a fresh Win 8 Pro from scratch but without booting into your current Windows installation I don't know any other way to get your Win 8 Pro serial that you will need to activate the new installation.

OP
N

nimatoday

it's been deleted completely
i want a way to re install any version of windows (8 or 8.1)
i have an other original license
could you help me?

Last edited:

terente0081

First we download an Windows 8 ISO. Visit this link: Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help
Click the "Install Windows 8" button. It will download an installer, run it then enter the serial number on the licence you intend on using on the new Win8 installation.
Download will begin and at the end you will be prompted to save as ISO or create a USB drive with the installation kit.
Save as ISO cause it's handy to kave the installation kit around, the following step will provide instructions on how to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with that ISO and install Windows:
Install Windows 8 Enterprise onto Surface Pro ? Easy thanks to Rufus | ccolonbackslash

No matter they install Win 8 Enterprise, you will install the image you downloaded from Microsoft according to the serial you provided.

Notes:
After disabling Secure Boot per instructions, save and exit then it will try to boot. It won't cause you don't have Windows installed. Power off the Surface.
The site suggests you should boot into Windows and execute shutdown.exe /r /o /t 10. Since you can't do that, you will do this instead. With the Surface powered off insert the USB stick you created with the installation kit. Hold Volume down and press the Power button while keeping volume down pressed. When "Surface" apprears on screen release the Power button, keep holding Vol down. It will boot the USB stick. From there on it's smooth sailing.. delete ALL partitions from within the installer, create a single partition and install on it.
You may want to have the Marvell Avastar 350N driver downloaded from the above page too, your fresh Win8 install won't recognise the WiFi adapter by default.
You need to activate Windows now. Press Win+R and type slui.exe 0x3
Enter your Win 8 serial, it should say it's good. Reboot.
Run Windows update and let it install all updates. Rest of the drivers for your Surface will come with the updates.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you understand it. Let me know if you managed to have your Surface up and running or if you need more info.

terente0081

thanks so much

Well did it work, is your Surface Pro running again? :) I did mine by the same procedure, couldn't be more happy with the results. The factory image is not so good, it was riddled with problems. This procesure also gets you an extra 10Gb on your storage..

OP
N

nimatoday

Well did it work, is your Surface Pro running again? :) I did mine by the same procedure, couldn't be more happy with the results. The factory image is not so good, it was riddled with problems. This procesure also gets you an extra 10Gb on your storage..

hello
yes it works completly
but i have one problem
i am in iran and the microsoft do not allow me to active windows in iran
how could i activate my windows 8.1 pro?(i have my serial)

Last edited: