What's new

Problem with my Surface 2

jeff4433

I have had my Surface 2 for about a month now and I have had this same issue pop up about 3 or 4 times now. I don't know if it's just a bug or a defect but I'm pretty concerned about it. Sometimes when I wake my Surface up the touch 2 keyboard won't respond. When I do log in via touch, the right side panel will not open, you can't close apps, or even move screens. When you try to close something from top to bottom, you see like 3 or 4 "finger" button presses on the screen like I'm touching it all over it confusing it. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it a bug or should I maybe have it replaced? Thanks for the help!

daniielrp

Never seen that, but I'd try reloading/refreshing windows before sending back, could be a quick(er) fix.

OP
J

jeff4433

The only way I can fix the issue is to do a hard reset by holding the power button down. I think I have until the end of the week to decide if I want to exchange it or not.

ron_from_rifas

I have had my Surface 2 for about a month now and I have had this same issue pop up about 3 or 4 times now. I don't know if it's just a bug or a defect but I'm pretty concerned about it. Sometimes when I wake my Surface up the touch 2 keyboard won't respond. When I do log in via touch, the right side panel will not open, you can't close apps, or even move screens. When you try to close something from top to bottom, you see like 3 or 4 "finger" button presses on the screen like I'm touching it all over it confusing it. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it a bug or should I maybe have it replaced? Thanks for the help!

I have this happening on a regular basis. When I try to unlock to the screen it stutters because it's registering another touch somewhere on the screen.

Hard reset has been the only cure and it's temporary at best. I'm considering taking to the MS store to see what they'll do.

typejt

I have the same problem. It only seems to happen when I tray to wake the Surface from sleep when it has been on the charger for awhile. I have not tried system factory reset yet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This happen occasionally on every Tablet I've owned that supports multitouch....

• HP Slate 500
  • Toshiba Libretto W105
  • Samsung 700T
  • Surface RT
  • Surface 2
  • Surface Pro 2

OP
J

jeff4433

I spoke to Microsoft about the problem and they said it is an issue that they are not aware of. I let them know that I had 3 days to make up my mind on exchanging the unit for a new one where I bought it and they left it up to me. He said it "could" be hardware OR software but he could take me though a few steps to try and trouble shoot it. Their steps are to do a master reset, which I figured. They also let me know that while I can go exchange it, that I do have a full years warranty in case I don't take it back and it happens again. He said that because we already did the reset that they would just authorize a swap out for me and I'd have a new one. So, yeah, I did the reset and it hasn't happened in the last couple of days and I've been opening and closing it more frequently to try and replicate the issue. So far, so good. I'll keep everyone posted if it happens again. Since this isn't happening to everyone's Surface, I don't think it is a regular issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In the industry is referred to as Phantom Touches, it can be caused by the HID Driver Crashes, overheating and sticky substances on the screen. And extreme circumstances it is a hardware issue...

I have the same problem. It only seems to happen when I tray to wake the Surface from sleep when it has been on the charger for awhile. I have not tried system factory reset yet.
I've experienced this as well. Let the Surface 2 sit a few days connected to the charger then when I disconnect it, it fails to wake. Have to power off/on to get it going.

I don't think it is a hardware problem.

cjonline

Ive been experiencing the exact same issues. Seems to happen mainly after I've been using IE . This has only started happening in the last few months. I'm certain it was fine when o first got it. I've also noticed a flickering across the screen from time to time . Dont know if its related. Too me it looks like a software bug.. possibly from a recent update. Why can't Ms just get their finger out their asks. I mean id expect these issues with a cheap android tablet but this thing cost me a small fortune.

EMINENT

This has been happening to me and I've noticed it started with the 8.1 update. I could see phantom presses at the top left by where the on screen volume appears. Also, when this happens, charms don't appear when swiped and certain areas of the screen won't register presses. I've read some said to press the sleep button and it goes away. Hasn't worked for me, but I think this is software as I've only recently had this issue in the last few months.