What's new

Problem with Reader on SP3 i3 version

Aeron15

I'm having problems with annotating using the pen when using the Reader app included.
When I first start, it runs well. The notes being written is very similar to my pen strokes. But after a few minutes of writing, the writing produced becomes more angular... To remedy this, I'd have to write really really slow for it to accurately register what I'm trying to write. Or I'd have to restart reader by closing it on the Task Manager.

For comparison, this what it looks like after running it for a while and the one on the right is what it looks like after a fresh restart

Attachments

• hello.png
    hello.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:

dniezby

Just curious. Have you BT Synced your pen?

I notice that mine works but isn't always BT Connected to my SP3.

Try going to devices and making sure the BT is connected. As it WILL still recognize the pen even without it. - So I've noticed.

See if that works.

Liam2349

The Reader app is pretty weird - Every time I write on it, the ink starts out unfocused and then focuses. It also doesn't display Greek which composes a big chunk of my PDFs.

Try Drawboard PDF from the Windows Store. The ink lags with pressure sensitive ink enabled, but leave it off in the app settings and it's a lot better.

OP
A

Aeron15

Try going to devices and making sure the BT is connected. As it WILL still recognize the pen even without it. - So I've noticed.

See if that works.
My pen is connected. I am using the double click feature to occasionally write notes on screenshots. so I don't think that's the problem.

I will try a different PDF viewer app like Liam suggested. I didn't have this problem until we had a change in lecturer and she uses pdfs instead of ppt files. -_-

I had that problem after using it for like 10 minutes in reader app. I use drawboard now for pdf, works great 90 percent of the time, the other 10 percent it crashes.

msolok

See if that works.

The pen writing function does not connect via Bluetooth. That's why even in Flight Mod (wireless radios disabled) the pen still works.
It's best to think of the pen as two totally different devices.
The first is the metal pen part. This part still needs a power source (AAAA battery in this case) so it can emit a tiny EM field and be detected by sensors in the screen stack (and for the two side buttons to work). This is not a bluetooth connection and no pairing is needed. As long as the batteries in the pen as good and the screen stack is working the pen will work. That's why your pen works when you are first setting up your Surface but haven't set up the pen.
The second device is the plastic top of the pen. This is a small Bluetooth radio attached to a button. All it does is send the button press command via Bluetooth. When the button isn't pressed for a while the Bluetooth module turns off (so as not to burn through batteries), and it turns back on and connects as soon as the button is pressed.

So the pen is really two devices that operate entirely independently of each other. You can remove the plastic bit from the pen and your button will still work. And you can take the batteries out of the plastic bit and the pen will still work.

OP: What happens if you hover the pen above the screen so you can see the pointer when this is happening? Does the pointer smoothly follow the pen nib or does it jerk around?
What happens if you are inking in OneNote for the same sort of time? Same thing?
It sounds like it could be a low AAAA battery in your pen. When it happens try removing the AAAA battery, waiting a second and putting it back in. Does it work any better?

OP
A

Aeron15

The pointer is following the pen smoothly although a little delayed.

If I write in OneNote, it doesn't suffer from any lag or anything. I've spent like 30 mins drawing something in OneNote and it was still smooth. The problem seems isolated on the Reader app. I was using powerpoint before and it smooth all throughout the lecture as well.

I also tried the battery thing and it was still the same. I've checked the review for the Reader app in the MS store and I saw someone else was having the problem with annotating. :(