What's new

Problems after 14 months - screen, shut down during standby

minar

Hi, i own a Surface Pro 4 (i5 and 8gb of ram version) since march 2016. I use it as a student and as a developer, and i'm pretty satisfied with this product, at least i was.
Some days ago i received the creators update. My Surface runs Windows and Ubuntu (i need it for work) but probably this information isn't even needed.

Anyway, i activated the night mode yesterday and with red tones i noticed a shadow at the bottom of the screen. It's like a darker line and as you may imagine, after i saw it the first time i can't stop noticing it, even without night mode, especially with dark gray, white, or red tones. it's pretty frustrating for me, i always treated my Surface as a jewel! I tried to clean up the screen and i rebooted, the line is visible in Windows and in Ubuntu as well, surely it's not a software problem!

Second problem, probably i could resolve it with a clean install (but why should i do it?), when the device enters in sleep mode, after a while it should hibernate, but it simply shuts down, probably in an unexpected way, because the computer scans the disk on reboot. i'm still trying to find out if it shuts down even before, when it's in sleep mode.

EDIT: it shuts down when i hibernate it or when the automatic hibernation is performed. No idea why.

Any ideas? in a couple of days my love for this device is fallen off :(

Last edited:

awwshoot

Interesting...

Mine has not been waking up as well as it used to forcing me to hold the power button for 15 seconds to force shut it down. Read your post and saw the Night Light mode so I tried it out, then was called away from my desk. Returned 2o minutes later and SP4 would not wake, held the power AGAIN. Then powered it up to the Disk Check. Hmmm.... Possible bug sleeping with Night Light on?

Holding off updating the rest of our fleet due to the amount of times my SP4 has failed to wake up after Creator's update!

OP
minar

minar

Interesting...

Mine has not been waking up as well as it used to forcing me to hold the power button for 15 seconds to force shut it down. Read your post and saw the Night Light mode so I tried it out, then was called away from my desk. Returned 2o minutes later and SP4 would not wake, held the power AGAIN. Then powered it up to the Disk Check. Hmmm.... Possible bug sleeping with Night Light on?

Holding off updating the rest of our fleet due to the amount of times my SP4 has failed to wake up after Creator's update!
my Surface "dies" even if night mode is off (just the automatic switch is activated). It's very frustrating, basically i can't use the hibernation!
the line on the screen is clearly an hardware issue, i'll probably contact microsoft to learn more, especially if the line gets even more noticeable.

awwshoot

LOL Went to reply to you yesterday morning that I hadn't faught any more "Wake up" issues since Tuesday and my Surface wouldn't wake up so I could mention the last patch I installed that seemed to clear ir up. My Surface may have Died. LOL

Been trying to fight through Bitlocker to recover files, currently working with Microsoft.

OP
minar

minar

In the meantime, Windows Hello stopped working, and when i try to configure it again, it crashes when it asks me to configure a pin. i'm strongly disappointed :mad:

OP
minar

minar

After a Windows 10 update.. nothing was solved. The pin configuration still crashes, hibernation still shuts down the computer causing an error. Probably this is my first and last Surface device, i expected at least a bug free Windows experience. I forgot that Windows IS a bug. I'm forced to format the entire ssd and install the os again. And the answer desk simply told me useless and not working solutions. Don't think i'm an hater or i didn't try to solve those problems, i'm an expert user and i tried over and over!

awwshoot