What's new

Problems connecting my External HD using a docking station via USB 3 to the Surface

Mr.White

Hello,

I just bought a Docking station for my 2TB WD HD (Internal Disk) and plugged it to my Surface but I'm Getting "Driver Error" message.

I've tried the Docking station with the WD HD on my laptop with different HD's and It works.

Tried to look for Driver's for the the HD serial: MDL: WD20EZRX-00DC0B0 but coudn't find any.

Tried to copy the Driver manager's files from my "system32 folder" on my laptop to the "system32 folder" on the surface, and still doesn't work.

Any suggestions, Please?

tarrant64

Could you please tell us the type of Docking station purchased for the hard drive? Startech, Thermaltake, etc.?

OP
M

Mr.White

Thanks for replying..

We're talking about a 3.5' 2TB External HD, it needs a docking station with a power cord. see link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360761823993?var=630169375434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Checked the Compatibility center, and found:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Plugable%20USB3-SATA-UASP1%20Docking%20Station&vendor=Plugable&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&BreadCrumbPath=docking%20station&LastSearchTerm=docking%2Bstation&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows%208.1

I believe it's all about the drivers - cause in my desktop and the laptop, the docking station works fine, it should work on the surface as well.

Update: I contact the seller, he does not have drivers for the device - saying it should be "plug&play" device....

Awaiting reply.
Thanks.

Last edited:

tarrant64

I had a hardware driver installation issue when I first got my surface with a USB ethernet cable (believe it or not Microsoft branded too intended for Surface products). Not sure if you've looked at this yet but I had to go into the older Windows update menu, not the Metro Windows Update, to get the system to recognize new device and install appropriate drivers. May be worth a shot.

OP
M

Mr.White

Tried that to, under: "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" sub category "Unspecified" : the surface recognize the device.

When i Press "troubleshoot" - > after "detecting problem...." I've tried all the options, none of them works, saying:
"
USB Mass Storage Device has a driver problem Not fixed Not Fixed

There is a problem with the driver for USB Mass Storage Device. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Informationa lDevice information
Name: USB Mass Storage Device
ID: USB\VID_2537&PID_1066\0123456789ABCDE
Error code: 10
"

The irony is that the device is recognized at my desktop and my laptop and works fine there.. so i guess it's not a driver error one. here is a print scr of the error, maybe it will help. Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

tarrant64

Hmm that's pretty strange. A few thoughts...

1. Have you already tried obtaining the USB mass storage drivers and manually installing them (try this with and without the docking station plugged in)?

2. What OS is your desktop and laptop? Windows XP, 7, 8?

3. Maybe this is or isn't an option, but the hardware could be faulty. You could try exchanging it or returning it and trying something else.

4. Do you have any other USB hard drives you can test to see if they work on your Surface? I do suspect it's driver related, but faulty hardware can mislead you into thinking that too (hence #3). I'm also curious what drive letters you already have assigned - maybe it's trying to use one that's already taken - although that should never happen I've seen it before.

Good luck!

OP
M

Mr.White

Hey Tarrant64, Thanks for replying

1. I have WD and seagate, Each 2TB external HD recognized by my surface pro.
2. my laptop runs both Vista and Ubuntu, and my Desktop runs XP. Both recognize the device.
3. Couldn't find any drivers for that device, on ORICO website says it's a Plug&Play one.
4. tried the windows 8 "6619US3 Firmware Upgrade" - it does not recognize it...
5. tried to install similar devices drivers - not working.
6. I've upgraded my surface pro to 8.1 version two months ago - I think that this is my sole mistake, cause it cannot recognize my Nikon Camera as well.

Now I'm willing to switch back to windows 8, but I read somewhere that it's not possible......

Any thought?

Last edited:

tarrant64

I don't know that the recovery image on your Surface pro is Windows 8.1, I think it's 8. I think this is the second time I've asked myself this so I really need to look into it. In either case - you can try doing a complete system recovery and if it uses the recovery partition I would think it would go back to Windows 8 (I don't think the partition itself is upgraded to Windows 8.1). I think 8.1 is just an "upgrade" for most systems. You could try that.

I wouldn't think you should have to find a ORICO driver, just the general USB Mass Storage drivers for Windows 8/8.1. I don't think you'll find a specific driver for those plug and play devices. All in all, it sounds like your OS could use a re-install - 8.1 should work just fine so something could be corrupt. You can try a refresh of 8.1, or go back to 8 - probably a good idea in either case.

OP
M

Mr.White

Problem Solved!

1. Connect and switch on the device with the HD to a PC running OS that is not Windows 8.1 (I used XP).
2. Download and Install the Firmware at: http://www.orico.com.cn/file/ORICO%206518SUS3(%20%E6%94%AF%E6%8C%81win%208.1%20)%E5%9B%BA%E4%BB%B6%E7%A8%8B%E5%BA%8F%E6%9B%B4%E6%96%B0.rar
3. Follow the Instructions in the File.
4. Switch off the Device
5. Connect it back to the Surface pro windows 8.1, and Enjoy.

Many Thanks to Ken from Customer Care Division at ORICO.

Closed bulletin.