What's new

Problems of the Connected Standby 'feature'

OP
J

Junwei

For 2/3.) Go to Device Manager->Surface Type Cover ... -> Power Management and disallow the device to wake up the computer. Same for the mouse.

Hi, thank you for the advice. I have seen a number of people proposing this method which is the norm for this problem. However if you try it, you will notice it doesn't actually work. Seems like as part of the feature of connected standby, they disabled this functionality as well. Could anyone assist to verify and propose a workaround if possible?

nipponham

Hi, thank you for the advice. I have seen a number of people proposing this method which is the norm for this problem. However if you try it, you will notice it doesn't actually work. Seems like as part of the feature of connected standby, they disabled this functionality as well. Could anyone assist to verify and propose a workaround if possible?
I don't think it's possible to stop the keyboard from waking up the machine with connected standby. You have to disable it by enabling Hyper-V, then the power management options should work as usual.

If connected standby needs to be enabled, the only thing I could suggest would be to disconnect the keyboard so its input does not accidentally wake up the machine.

Henning

For me it works with Hibernate, which I added as explained in ctitanic's link above. From what I see, keyboard does not wake up hibernated device (no need for connected standby when SP3 is in bag).

Last edited:

Liam2349

First of all, let me just mention how badly designed I think the Connected Standby feature of the surface pro 3 is. If SP3 is meant to be used as a true Tablet/PC hybrid, it should have the following basic functions.

1) Be able to turn off the screen only after a certain time untouched.
This is very important when doing presentations and you are away from your laptop. In the current state, whenever the discussion extends beyond a certain timeframe, the SP3 goes to sleep and the presentation shuts off. I usually set my screen-off time to 3mins to save battery life. Setting the screen-off time any longer defeats this purpose.

2) Disable keyboard/mouse to wake the SP3 from sleep
As it is, I can never put the SP3 into my bag in the sleep state on because it is almost certainly going to wake due to an accidental keypress from the keyboard. I carry the SP3 in my backpack which causes a small amount of unavoidable pressure on the keyboard surface as I walk. Hence I now always have to shut off the SP3, which makes using it as a tablet an inconvenience due to always having to reboot on start.

3) Disable screen waking when keyboard is closed.
Isn’t this feature the standard across all ipads/android tablets with magnetic covers? Without disabling connected standby, the SP3 goes to sleep when the keyboard is closed, which is fine if problems 1) and 3) is solved. With connected standby disabled, it only allows either a full shuts down or doesn’t do anything.

I have disabled the Connected Standby feature of my surface pro 3 via the registry and enabled screen timeouts. However I am still unable to solve problems 2) and 3) with connected standby disabled. More importantly, could i enable the sleep function with connected standby disabled? Currently i do not have that option. Could anyone offer assistance?

1) Not quite clear about what you mean here. Do you expect Surface to read your mind and know when you do and do not want the screen to go off?

2) I can't say I've had this issue. I always put it into connected standby, into its case and into my backpack.

3) This is probably a good idea.