What's new

Problems waking from sleep with new Type Cover

creightoncarr

As many did, I received my SP4 and new type cover yesterday. I ordered the type cover with the fingerprint scanner. When the type cover is attached, and the surface is set up in a laptop configuration, pressing the power button briefly works as expected, i.e. a brief either puts the SP4 in sleep mode or wakes it from sleep mode. The response is very fast. However, if the cover is folded back behind the SP4, a brief press of the power button will put it in sleep mode, but it will now take a long time to wake up from sleep on a second press of the power button. The linked video demonstrates what I am trying to explain. If I put the old type cover on the SP4 this does not happen. Similarly, if I put the new type cover on my SP3, the SP3 behaves normally.

I visited the MS Store this morning thinking that this would be an issue unique to my device. However, after being unable to determine why this was happening on my SP4, the help desk employees brought some of the demo SP4's from the floor to the desk and tried various combinations of type covers on them, including the new type covers with and without the fingerprint scanner, and the previous version of the type cover. All three demo units they tested exhibited the same behavior with both of the new type covers, and all three behaved properly when the older type cover was attached. Ultimately I left with a hollow reassurance that this would probably be fixed with a future firmware update.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Anyone not have this issue or have any ideas on why it is happening? Other that updating through Windows Update upon receipt and setting up my user account, my SP4 is still in stock condition and I have not installed any third party software.

Nutmegz

I too have noticed this. It is much slower with the keyboard folded behind like you said. It is also slightly slower with the keyboard attached vs not attached.

OP
C

creightoncarr

I have also found that if I perform a restart from the power menu with the type covered folded back, the SP4 will take between 2-3 minutes to reboot. It hangs after Surface is displayed on the screen but before the dots begin circling. Performing the same restart with the cover detached takes less than 20 seconds.

Interesting. Mine also does this. I never really fold the keyboard back though, I'm more of a keyboard removal guy when it's not in use.

BTW, nice guitar collection. However, I prefer Ibanez over Gibson/Epiphone and Fender.

OP
C

creightoncarr

Sometimes I just want to check email quickly before going to bed and I guess I am just too lazy to remove the cover vs. folding it back.

Sher the Love - I grew up on Ibanez guitars, though I do not have any anymore. I play primarily blues/rock and I have grown very fond of my Gibson and Fenders guitars over the years. I do have a couple ESP's, but I have not touched them in a while. Actually, I prefer some of my acoustics over all of the electrics.

bluegrass

I see the issue has been resolve. Just don't fold the keyboard in back of the screen. Good to know, even though I don't ever find it useful to fold it back. I like to remove it if I'm not wanting to use it.