What's new

Problems with Google Chrome

CrippsCorner

Hi guys, new here! Will introduce myself on the correct part of the forum soon, but unfortunately I have to start with a problem.

Only got my Surface Pro delivered a couple of days ago, and as usual with any new computer, I installed Google Chrome. However after just about half hour's worth of usage I came across two problems. Firstly, how do you get it to run in desktop mode, rather than Metro? I installed the 'normal' version, to the desktop, and it's pinned there... but when you click on the Superbar version, it takes you straight into Metro. Also, this means that Incognito mode doesn't work for some reason.

Okay and secondly, when shutting it down (i.e. mouse to the top right of the screen, and right clicking to close) it re-opens again, about 10 seconds later. I tried this numerous times, and every time it came back to life of its own accord! Kinda frustrating.

Loving everything else about it so far though! :)

bertopl

if you click on the menu button at the top right of the chrome screen, you can toggle between the two modes. if it is in metro mode you'll see "relaunch Chrome on the desktop" in the menu. if it is in desktop mode you'll see "relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode." I never had Chrome reopen on its own but the normal way to quit the app in metro mode is the same as a normal metro app, click and drag from the top of the screen to the bottom and the app quits.

lowboydrvr

if you click on the menu button at the top right of the chrome screen, you can toggle between the two modes. if it is in metro mode you'll see "relaunch Chrome on the desktop" in the menu. if it is in desktop mode you'll see "relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode." I never had Chrome reopen on its own but the normal way to quit the app in metro mode is the same as a normal metro app, click and drag from the top of the screen to the bottom and the app quits.

Or "Alt" + "F4" (if you have a keyboard connected).

bertopl

how rude of me, welcome to the forum kayzee!! chrome definitely has its quirks in its current state. touch optimization is pretty minimal even in its windows 8 mode. a lot of people here recommend using explorer for its better touch optimization but bookmarks are weak in it. haven't really tried it much myself honestly. for the time being I'm sticking with Chrome as it syncs bookmarks and extensions etc with my other computers. I'm sure google will refine it more over time.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Hey thanks! I've not used Windows 8 since the CP finished, so still got a lot to learn... the swipe down to close is excellent, cheers. Also done as you said to get Chrome opening in desktop mode and it's working fine, and throughout my short usage tonight I didn't experience the weird reopening thing.

I've not really tried out Internet Explorer, lost interest with it around version 7/8 tbh! Does it allow swipe to go back and double finger scrolling etc. like the Apple Trackpad? Man I wish Microsoft made one of those.

Just out of interest, I'm still using my Windows 7 computer most of the time atm until next month when I'm gonna get a USB 3.0 dock. Now to search the forum for the best one to get!

bertopl

don't use explorer myself so not really sure how touch enabled it is but people rave about it here. it's pre-installed so give it a whirl!! I still have & use a windows 7 machine here too but I'm really liking 8 more the more I use it. boots super fast and haven't had a lock-up yet. I know a lot of people complain about its quirks but I value the speed and stability of my pro, ironing out the quirks I'm sure will follow with 8.1 on the horizon. personally, the biggest drawback to 8 for me is the incompatiblities that still exist. for example, some older versions of autocad work fine on win 7 and below but won't run on 8, but I believe this is more a 64-bit vs 32-bit thing. btw, another little trick to close chrome if you're using the trackpad is to just close all your tabs. if there is only one active tab, hitting the x button to close it will quit chrome. a little easier than the drag method if you're using a trackpad.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Yes I must admit since using the Surface I'm starting to enjoy Windows 8 a lot more than I was on my desktop. I find myself using touch a lot more than the mouse as well, which surprises me... it just makes sense. As does IE having the address bar down the bottom... as does 75% snap... you get where I'm coming from.

My setup will probably change again when I start docking it though
cool.png

Tepid

I have seen more windows PC's broken by Chrome than any other browser.
I would advise against using chrome at ALL.

Firefox works perfectly on my Surface Pro.

spectre51

I have seen more windows PC's broken by Chrome than any other browser.
I would advise against using chrome at ALL.

Firefox works perfectly on my Surface Pro.

How have PCs been broken by Chrome? I have never had an issue with it whether it be on my Mac or PCs at home or my work computers which are all windows XP old pieces of crap.

Firefox is okay just feels a lot heavier and slower than Chrome. Never really liked IE until the more recent versions and actually enjoy it on the Surface.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I still continue to use Chrome on my home PC and work PC... it's a great product. I also used it on my iPhone but found it slightly slower than Safari.