What's new

Problems with mic and speakers

Tien

Hi,

I'm from Germany and I just got my brandnew Surface 3. I'm pretty surprised how well the machine performs, but I have two major problems that might be dealbreakers for me if I don't manage getting them fixed:

- When I record something via the built-in microphone the audio quality is really bad, I can hear a very loud and static noise in the background every time I record something

- When I use headphones I've got a constant noise in the background, no matter what headphones I use, it's not annoyingly loud but it's still there

Does anyone else have these problems? Is this a driver-related problem and/or can this be fixed manually? I've already reinstalled the Surface, but it's still there.

malberttoo

Hi,

I'm from Germany and I just got my brandnew Surface 3. I'm pretty surprised how well the machine performs, but I have two major problems that might be dealbreakers for me if I don't manage getting them fixed:

- When I record something via the built-in microphone the audio quality is really bad, I can hear a very loud and static noise in the background every time I record something

- When I use headphones I've got a constant noise in the background, no matter what headphones I use, it's not annoyingly loud but it's still there

Does anyone else have these problems? Is this a driver-related problem and/or can this be fixed manually? I've already reinstalled the Surface, but it's still there.

Welcome to the forum!

As far as the static goes, I've heard a few other members say that their static went away after their machines were fully updated through Windows Update.

OP
T

Tien

Hi, thanks for the welcome.
I installed all currently available drivers, but I still get a bit background noise. Interestingly, the noise disappears when being on the desktop, but as soon as I switch to Google chrome the noise reappears. So it seems to depend on the task I do.

But what bothers me more is the fact that I still get a very annoying noise when recording something. I found a way to turn it down a little, but it did not help that much.

If I knew that this is a driver or software related problem I'd be okay with it as it's probably going to be fixed in the future. But if my Surface 3 has a defect I should get a replace... However, I don't think that my Surface is defect, maybe the sound is related to intereferences from internal components. I had this on my PC quite a while ago when I was using the built-in sound chip of my mainboard.

Blihi

Hi All,

I had a similar issue. The mic would, every 5 seconds or so, pick up a strange hiss. Like the feedback loop you get when you put speakers next to a mic.

It went away after I changed the setting in Skype for Desktop to automatically change the microphone setting.