What's new

Solved Problems with Surface RT

MiMi

Hello all :)

I'm having some issues with my Microsoft Surface RT and I have no idea how to fix them.

My C station claims to be full but I have only 3 word documents on my tablet and the Netflix app. Because of that Onedrive won't sync on my tablet.

My tablet also automatically deleted system apps like Mail and Video, calculator and a few more.
When I go to the playstore and click on "My apps" it says "Not installed". Clicking "install" won't work.

So in short:
- Why does my tablet claim to be full when I only have a few documents and one app on my Microsoft surface?

- How can I get my apps back?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try running disk cleanup and select the System Files option. look at large space consumption areas to remove like windows.old or windows update files etc. some of these wont be selected by default and you will have to click the box to include them in the cleanup.

OP
M

MiMi

Try running disk cleanup and select the System Files option. look at large space consumption areas to remove like windows.old or windows update files etc. some of these wont be selected by default and you will have to click the box to include them in the cleanup.

Unfortunately that didn't help :( I'm still dealing with the same problems

OP
M

MiMi

How much space does it say it has available?
what size storage do you have 32gb or 64gb?
Luckily onedrive works again! I have 32 GB and right now I have 1,48 GB out of 26,9 GB space left on my tablet. The apps that disappeared still won't download and I still don't understand why my tablet is so full. I used to have a lot of more documents and apps on my tablet so why this problem? I did use the disk cleaner btw

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luckily onedrive works again! I have 32 GB and right now I have 1,48 GB out of 26,9 GB space left on my tablet. The apps that disappeared still won't download and I still don't understand why my tablet is so full. I used to have a lot of more documents and apps on my tablet so why this problem? I did use the disk cleaner btw
Lets check a couple other figures.

On the disk properties how much does it report as in use.
Mine has 17gb in use or 15.8gb if you use the right hand column.

Go to Settings - Change PC settings - Search and Apps - App sizes
What's being shown there for App Sizes... it's shown in decreasing order largest to smallest anything significant there?
I have one that is 1.1 gb, a couple that are in the hundreds of MB, 16 in the 10s of MB, 19 that are 1-9mb, 17 below 1mb.

In Explorer right click the "Users" folder and click properties. what size is it?
Do the same for "Windows" and "Program Files"

In disk cleanup there's a More Options tab and button for cleaning up System Restore points and Shadow Copies.

OP
M

MiMi

25,5 GB is being used on my tablet.
Netflix is the only app that shows and it takes 73,9 MB of space.

Users folder: 8,18 GB
Windows: 16,6 GB
Program files: 906 MB

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
25,5 GB is being used on my tablet.
Netflix is the only app that shows and it takes 73,9 MB of space.

Users folder: 8,18 GB
Windows: 16,6 GB
Program files: 906 MB

If I go to the disk cleaner there is not a "more option" button. There is only a tab for disk clean up but I will look into it and figure it out!
My users folder is 1.44 gb so there's a lot of something in there...
My Windows is 13.2 gb a little different but not huge.

That Disk Cleanup tab was after clicking the Clean up system files button.

If you expand Users what do you have under there...
I have
myuserid 1.44gb
localadmin 0 bytes
Public 57kb

If you have 8gb in your user ID with only a couple files there's some garbage somewhere, although maybe there's an app folder under there with stuff in it, like Netflix or something else leftover from before.
On the Explorer view menu click the box to show "Hidden items"

1.13gb of 1.44gb under myussrid is in AppData.

OP
M

MiMi

My users folder is 1.44 gb so there's a lot of something in there...
My Windows is 13.2 gb a little different but not huge.

That Disk Cleanup tab was after clicking the Clean up system files button.

If you expand Users what do you have under there...
I have
myuserid 1.44gb
localadmin 0 bytes
Public 57kb

If you have 8gb in your user ID with only a couple files there's some garbage somewhere, although maybe there's an app folder under there with stuff in it, like Netflix or something else leftover from before.
On the Explorer view menu click the box to show "Hidden items"

1.13gb of 1.44gb under myussrid is in AppData.
My user ID contains 8,20 GB
Public has 4,00 KB
It doesn't mention local admin though.

I'm having trouble finding the box to show hiding items. Are you using the same tablet?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, Surface RT with all the updates.
Explorer - View Hidden items on right
view1.png