What's new

Problems with updating and Microsoft Dock

John Giguere

I purchased my Surface Book in April 2016 to replace my dead HP DV7-3165 which worked well for 7 years until I gave it one bad static shock. I like the Surface Book but the experience is that I'm always trying to either work around something or something doesn't work right. I had a update error:
Office XP Service Pack 3 for Access 2002 Runtime - Error 0x80096004
The only way to fix it was to reset the laptop to new and loose everything, I did it and it seemed fixed.
Now the same update error and I can't get rid of it:

My second complaint is that I think when the laptop is connected to my Microsoft Dock with my Samsung dual monitor at my desk it doesn't update the font size so it doesn't look right. The only fix is to constantly turn the laptop completely off and restart it every time. It's not an easy process and it requires me to save/quit everything which interrupts my work. I have found myself working on the laptop sitting in front of this 29 inch monitor not connected because I can't close down the program.

My third issue is weird on/off wifi issues and difficulty with connections to all my HP network printer/scanners.

I have since had a new motherboard put in my old HP laptop and I find myself just grabbing that to do work because it works 99% of the time and believe me time is my problem, I don't have a lot of extra time. It just doesn't make sense that my 7-year old laptop is more stable to work with.

Any advices is appreciated.

Thanks...

dcoplien

I purchased my Surface Book in April 2016 to replace my dead HP DV7-3165 which worked well for 7 years until I gave it one bad static shock. I like the Surface Book but the experience is that I'm always trying to either work around something or something doesn't work right. I had a update error:
The only way to fix it was to reset the laptop to new and loose everything, I did it and it seemed fixed.
Now the same update error and I can't get rid of it:

My second complaint is that I think when the laptop is connected to my Microsoft Dock with my Samsung dual monitor at my desk it doesn't update the font size so it doesn't look right. The only fix is to constantly turn the laptop completely off and restart it every time. It's not an easy process and it requires me to save/quit everything which interrupts my work. I have found myself working on the laptop sitting in front of this 29 inch monitor not connected because I can't close down the program.

My third issue is weird on/off wifi issues and difficulty with connections to all my HP network printer/scanners.

I have since had a new motherboard put in my old HP laptop and I find myself just grabbing that to do work because it works 99% of the time and believe me time is my problem, I don't have a lot of extra time. It just doesn't make sense that my 7-year old laptop is more stable to work with.

Any advices is appreciated.

Thanks...
Have you tried "repair office"? Use add/remove programs. When you right click over it you should be given the option to repair. Since it's such an old version, not sure it will still work.

compnovo

It may be the OS, not the hardware: I did a quick search and it looks like any version earlier that Office 2007 is not compatible with Windows 10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Office XP isn't even supported or patched any longer....O365 Personal can be had really expensively.

We need more info on the docking issue, which Samsung monitor are you using and how is it connected?

JaeMelo

Office XP isn't even supported or patched any longer....O365 Personal can be had really expensively.

We need more info on the docking issue, which Samsung monitor are you using and how is it connected?
I was just about to say the same thing. You cannot blame the machine for your woes related to some blatantly obsolete software.
It time to purchase Office 365 or simply outright purchase Office if you're not a fan of the subcription thing. I did the latter and it ran me about 120-150 USD iirc.

OP
J

John Giguere

I've solved the problem. First let me say, yes I shouldn't blame the machine. I really like my Surface Book but it's just not been in anyway easy to upgrade. My fix came from this program I found from Microsoft "wushowhide", the program hides the update from the system and you no longer show it as an update. I am using Office 2016 and I had no idea what the update was until someone explained to me that it was to update Access. I don't know or use Access but a data base program I use in business does, QQ Evolution, a insurance data base.

The Samsung issue will probably continue but I don't think it's a Samsung monitor issue but how the machine works. As I type this on my machine in bed my font size is 200% but if I close the lid putting the machine into sleep mode and then connect it to the dock I'll get huge fonts on the 34 inch Samsung. If I go to the power icon and click shut down, then restart it. The laptop will reset the font size to 100% and the monitor will look normal.

My wish is to never shut the computer down which I didn’t do with my HP, I like instant on.

leeshor

This is my personal opinion but based on 26 years of owning my own computer company so it comes from experience. Never shutting down, or at least restarting is not a good idea.

I have one customer who calls me pretty much every 90 days or so with some sort of problem in his system. The first question I always ask is if he tried restarting. After some period of silence on the other end of the phone he says, yeah, that fixed it but for some reason he never remembers that the next tine he has a problem. He isn't normally that dense about most things. ;)

It does depend some on the apps you're running but virtually every version of Windows has had issues with some apps not releasing all the resources when closed. In part it's an issue with the apps but Windows never tells you there may be an issue.

OP
J

John Giguere

This is my personal opinion but based on 26 years of owning my own computer company so it comes from experience. Never shutting down, or at least restarting is not a good idea.

I have one customer who calls me pretty much every 90 days or so with some sort of problem in his system. The first question I always ask is if he tried restarting. After some period of silence on the other end of the phone he says, yeah, that fixed it but for some reason he never remembers that the next tine he has a problem. He isn't normally that dense about most things. ;)

It does depend some on the apps you're running but virtually every version of Windows has had issues with some apps not releasing all the resources when closed. In part it's an issue with the apps but Windows never tells you there may be an issue.

You're not wrong but even with the SSD in this laptop I find it's slow to start and these days it seems like my day ends with how many minutes are left to enjoy, not hours. In my HP I had a SSD installed and sorry to say but that laptop was more consistent in it's workings. I do really like the Surface Book for some of the neat things it does especially tablet mode. Also it weighs a pound or two whereas the HP felt like someone was sitting on my lap after awhile. The other neat thing is the power cord/dock connector that's magenetic, just brilliant engineering. Someone finally made a cord that will just fall off as I pick up the laptop and walk away with it, dumb-yes but as a user my cords are always bent or broken.