What's new

ProcThrottleMax, Powercfg setting

obmotum

That's just the reading at the moment the screenshot was taken. If you look at the lines of the graphs corresponding to GPU Freq then you'll see that the i7 stays at 599 or less while the i5 consistently goes over 600.
Yes you're right, I see it now.

obmotum

I don't know if this is the right thread but i've used ThrottleStop http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...arket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html
And with TrottleStop you can disable the Intel Turbo Technology.
I used Minecraft for testing and with Turbo ON PowerLimit Throttling kicked in, as soon as i turn Turbo of the Power Limit Throttling stops. The CPU then runs with 1.7GHz still fast enough for Minecraft to run an Full Resolution for about 25-30 FPS. In Default Window Size it gets to 60FPS.
CPU Temp stays at about 75°C. The GPU Freq is always 599MHz

I'm not sure if i should try to return my SP3 an get another one, some people reports that after they exchanged their SP3 they get lower Temps and the Fan doesn't kick in so fast.

I don't except that the SP3 stays completely quiet while i'm playing Minecraft, but I except that the Fan should not kick in while im surfing or reading e-books. :(

- edit-
I used XTU to Monitor the CPU/GPU and I tested it while the SP3 was on Battery.

- edit 2 -
I forgot to mention, that I have reset my SP3 so no August Firmware was installed. I'm now installing all Updates and i'm gonna try it again. :)

Last edited:
OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's an upside and a downside to all of this... the downside being that you become so obsessed over the numbers you forget to enjoy your device for what it does. Every computer ever made has been a compromise of technologies.

Above all else enjoy using the device, if for some reason you cannot find enjoyment in using it the device my not be right for you.

obmotum

I love my SP1 and I just except that my new SP3 performs just like it, maybe a little better since it has better hardware. It should stay cool and quiet in most conditions, except for gaming, where even the sp-fan kicked in.

Stephan

Yep, going to make some more changes. Right now it blocks the usb and display ports on the side. I will have to at least open up acess to the usb.

Did you find a way to create a fan that doesn't bloc the usb ? Or, anyway, a way to cool down he SP3 ?

Seems like we are still no closer to an answer as to why the i7 GPU seems permanently limited to about 599Mhz? Has there been an i7 model in the wild which consistently and repeatedly can deliver GPU speeds above 1000Mhz like the i5?

Stephan

Seems like we are still no closer to an answer as to why the i7 GPU seems permanently limited to about 599Mhz? Has there been an i7 model in the wild which consistently and repeatedly can deliver GPU speeds above 1000Mhz like the i5?

So, at the moment, the i5 is faster than the i7 ? (I will buy the SP3 next week and I still can't choose between the i5 and the i7. I have the money. I just want the fastest)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, at the moment, the i5 is faster than the i7 ? (I will buy the SP3 next week and I still can't choose between the i5 and the i7. I have the money. I just want the fastest)
Keep in mind the i7 GPU is a higher performance unit so it should be getting more work done at a lower frequency. the max GPU frequency in both is the same so the only way the HD 5000 could outperform the HD 4400 is to do more work at the same frequency. That's regardless of what package you put it in. Perspective.

Stephan

Keep in mind the i7 GPU is a higher performance unit so it should be getting more work done at a lower frequency. the max GPU frequency in both is the same so the only way the HD 5000 could outperform the HD 4400 is to do more work at the same frequency. That's regardless of what package you put it in. Perspective.

So, the i7 IS actually faster than the i5 ? in theory I know that it is. But in real life (with the design of the SP3 and the heat), I fear that it is not... (I read some posts on forums that the i5 run as the same speed as the i7)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, the i7 IS actually faster than the i5 ? in theory I know that it is. But in real life (with the design of the SP3 and the heat), I fear that it is not... (I read some posts on forums that the i5 run as the same speed as the i7)
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, or most anywhere else for that matter.

Old saying: Don't believe anything you hear and only 50% of what you read.
Update: Treat anything you read on the Internet as something you heard.
I am not a French model.