What's new

Programs randomly closing when on battery power

ozzyboy

Hi - I'm 65 years old and new to the forums so please excuse me if I am doing something wrong.

I have recently done a fresh install of Windows 10 and reinstalled all my software and updated all Windows updates, including firmware upgrades and the latest Windows 10 Anneversary Update.

All is working fine so far as I can see. I don't have any problems while I'm running on power.

When I switch to battery and start using my SP3 with Adobe Reader Touch and also Chrome the programs just close randomly. They still show in the taskbar until I press on the program there, it opens and just as quickly closes down again, for good this time.

I then have to go back and start all over again. Very annoying in Adobe Reader Touch as it starts from page 1 and I have lost where I have left off reading. It use to save where I had left off, it doesn't even do this now when I close the program.

I did not have this problem when I was running Windows 8.1 - all worked as it should.

I wonder if there is someone out there that can help me find the culprit that has stuffed up my SP3 experience.

Thank you.

Plantje

I've had this occasionally on Windows 10 on my desktop. But after a while the issue went away. Probably it was being updated at the time. Or the computer decided it needed more resources. Do programs get closed while you are using them as well?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome ozzyboy

Does this happen when in desktop mode? I've experienced this, however only when in tablet mode and the full screen start menu decides it wants to override the system.

I'm not much help I'm afraid.

OP
O

ozzyboy

I've had this occasionally on Windows 10 on my desktop. But after a while the issue went away. Probably it was being updated at the time. Or the computer decided it needed more resources. Do programs get closed while you are using them as well?
Thanks Platje, appreciate your input - I'll live with it and see what happens. Programs only close when on battery and when I'm using the program.

OP
O

ozzyboy

Welcome ozzyboy

Does this happen when in desktop mode? I've experienced this, however only when in tablet mode and the full screen start menu decides it wants to override the system.

I'm not much help I'm afraid.
Thanks, makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. This only happens when I unplug from Dock and use on battery. Cheers

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. This only happens when I unplug from Dock and use on battery. Cheers

What I'm asking though, is when unplugged from the dock, is the surface in tablet or desktop mode? If you open the action center, there will be a button at the bottom which allows you to change between the two modes.

IridiumCore

What applications do you allow to run in the background; have you looked previously?

I'd check to see:
Settings
>Privacy
>1. Scroll down to the bottom of the left panel's options
>>Select Background apps

The reason I mention this is that its possible some apps running in the background can drain the systems available resources.

I personally don't like chrome. In the past its been a major resource hog. I'd suggest turning this off in the background; your browser and the ports it uses are possible points of vulnerability. Leaving any browsing session open in the background is a risk.

Next you'll have to determine what you want running in the background. Think about battery life here also.

Has your screen began to flicker in any way; for example when in the minutes or seconds before the apps close, is there blink in the screen accompanied by any type of distortion?

When I sent the SP3 in for warranty exchange the device I got back had issues at first with the display adaptor crashing. This was a few days ago. So I do what I always do when I get a new device, I give the updates a change to work the magic.

Well that's when the flickering got worse, no notification for the display driver failing, but my apps like edge, and one note would magically close.

The steps I took disabling background apps helped with my apps actually closing. They were however, minimized as the display refreshed (flickered).

I apologize if this doesn't help. I ended up sending that device back to them.

bluegrass

I'm a tech and run into users having all kind of apps running that they aren't using but once and they leave them open & call me because their computer is running slow. For the life of me I don't understand why people don't close an app when they are finished using it. It's very easy to restart an app when you need it again. I call it computer abuse to leave apps open that you aren't using. Sometimes I'll even find a half dozen or so instances of the same app open. It's similar to what I learned from my dad; when you finish needing a light tuned on, turn if off.