What's new

Programs that causes SP3 to run hot

Good Friday all, I use a lot of skype facetime with my gf and noticed that the Skype Desktop version causes the Sp3 to run fairly hot. This happens when I share screens with her. I realized the desktop version isn't nearly as optimized as the app version of Skype, but the app version doesn't allow screensharing. I thought I'd share.

Another program that causes the fan to go on blast is Manga Studio, after about 15 minutes the fan will kick in, wish they can optimize this program but I guess there's just too much data to process.

If you find any other programs that causes the SP3 to heat up fairly quickly, post it here. My SP3 runs cool to the touch on all other programs so far.

Liam2349

The left side of my SP3 is generally cool to the touch, the right side tends to be slightly or mildly warm though.

mitchellvii

Based upon my experience, the fan kicking in has nothing to do with how hot the CPU actually is. I think it may be a case that certain processes are interpreted as "heat generating" by the SP3 so it preemptively spins up the fans. The point is to prevent heat, not alleviate it once it exists.

If you are holding your SP3 as a tablet, this is actually a pretty good plan. And face it, although the fans are noticeable, they are nothing compared to the average hovercraft inside a laptop.

ctitanic

Based upon my experience, the fan kicking in has nothing to do with how hot the CPU actually is. I think it may be a case that certain processes are interpreted as "heat generating" by the SP3 so it preemptively spins up the fans. The point is to prevent heat, not alleviate it once it exists.

If you are holding your SP3 as a tablet, this is actually a pretty good plan. And face it, although the fans are noticeable, they are nothing compared to the average hovercraft inside a laptop.
It's a combination of many things. Wifi activity can heat the device and the CPU is doing practically nothing.

So Sync with Onedrive can heat your device.
Chrome and hangouts will heat your device but decreasing the video bandwidth will help a little.

ZorMi

The left side of my SP3 is generally cool to the touch, the right side tends to be slightly or mildly warm though.
Some disassembling videos show four battery blocks in the left half, almost everything else is on the right: fan with liquid cooling pipes, controller chip, CPU/GPU in the middle, memory bellow and SSD at the bottom...

Fast-T

I had to uninstall Bitdefender 2015 last night as it prevented my SP3 from sleep. Screen was off, but the device was running very hot and has eaten battery. It turned out, the Profile feature of Bitdefender did not recognize I was running on battery and still was in game mode (I have no single game on my SP3). I was reading through the Bitdefender help and the whole profile thing did not make any se3nse to me. Why should I let my Antivirus decide what performance I need.
So have read the reviews and found Windows Defender is doing a decent job keeping viruses and malware off my SP3. Decision made, uninstalled Bitdefender. Device running smooth again.

Liam2349

I had to uninstall Bitdefender 2015 last night as it prevented my SP3 from sleep. Screen was off, but the device was running very hot and has eaten battery. It turned out, the Profile feature of Bitdefender did not recognize I was running on battery and still was in game mode (I have no single game on my SP3). I was reading through the Bitdefender help and the whole profile thing did not make any se3nse to me. Why should I let my Antivirus decide what performance I need.
So have read the reviews and found Windows Defender is doing a decent job keeping viruses and malware off my SP3. Decision made, uninstalled Bitdefender. Device running smooth again.

I don't trust Windows Defender lol. When I installed AVG Internet Security 2014 on my SP3 yesterday, it picked up a Trojan Horse and a shed load of malware that Windows Defender missed.

HarnessTech

I have the i5/8GB/256GB model and have found that downloading any files for more than a few seconds (like when synchronizing cloud files) heats things up quickly. When I first setup my SP3, I was downloading various software to install and it heated up even if the downloads only took a couple minutes. Anytime I hear the fan come on, I make a mental note of what is going on at that moment and it always has something to do with downloading.

To further clarify, it heats up most when in the dock. I can pull it out of the dock and synchronize files and it gets warm, but not as hot as when it's in the dock. I don't know if that's because it's charging while docked, or if that may have something to do with some of the vents being blocked, or a combination of both.

Prior to all of this, I had used Chrome 32-bit and it would heat up just browsing the web. I've since ditched that and tried Chrome 64-bit and can say that it's like night and day. The 64-bit seems to tax the system a lot less than the 32-bit version.

I do regularly use Photoshop and have never noticed it causing the SP3 to heat up (which was the opposite of what I expected).

OP
CustomSurfaceP2
I have the i5/8GB/256GB model and have found that downloading any files for more than a few seconds (like when synchronizing cloud files) heats things up quickly. When I first setup my SP3, I was downloading various software to install and it heated up even if the downloads only took a couple minutes. Anytime I hear the fan come on, I make a mental note of what is going on at that moment and it always has something to do with downloading.

To further clarify, it heats up most when in the dock. I can pull it out of the dock and synchronize files and it gets warm, but not as hot as when it's in the dock. I don't know if that's because it's charging while docked, or if that may have something to do with some of the vents being blocked, or a combination of both.

Prior to all of this, I had used Chrome 32-bit and it would heat up just browsing the web. I've since ditched that and tried Chrome 64-bit and can say that it's like night and day. The 64-bit seems to tax the system a lot less than the 32-bit version.

I do regularly use Photoshop and have never noticed it causing the SP3 to heat up (which was the opposite of what I expected).

I have not tried Chrome again mainly because of the scrolling issues. Photoshop doesn't heat up my device either, but using Manga Studio and installing software it'll get hot and the fan will kick in.

79jonesy

My i5 8gb kicks the fans in as soon as I browse on internet explorer. I'm using the modern ie app now and the fans have cranked right up. Only received it yesterday so will see how it goes. As soon as I stop browsing the web the fans slow to silent. Wasn't what I expected from a browsing experience really.