What's new

Programs that causes SP3 to run hot

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a combination of many things. Wifi activity can heat the device and the CPU is doing practically nothing.

So Sync with Onedrive can heat your device.
Chrome and hangouts will heat your device but decreasing the video bandwidth will help a little.

So far in my short-term experience with my SP3 this makes sense. I've noticed the fan spinning up fast when downloading Photoshop and Lightroom and installing them, and when syncing with Dropbox.... the only other time was running LR and skipping quickly through RAW previews in the library view.. I have the LR catalogue placed on OneDrive though... so actually that was possibly to do with syncing to the cloud as well come to think of it...!

When I'm just surfing on IE (either desktop or metro as so far I've not got my head round which I'm using...lol) I haven't noticed the fan - it's been good as gold and very cool. I'm seriously impressed with it... this is a i7 shoehorned in a tiny space...!!

BobG

Crazy, but the Sudoku game from Microsoft makes it really hot to the touch! A slow-paced game like that shouldn't use much CPU.

On the other hand I'm using Chrome 37 64 bit and that is working fine. Swiping back to previous page (on the desktop!) works great, faster at reloading the previous page than MUI IE. I still prefer the latter, but I like a change now and then. Changed my title bar to black, and then maximize Chrome, it almost looks like you're running it in Modern UI.

I'll stay with IE in Modern though, Chrome still isn't ready for prime-time there... Too many Google-specific junk hanging around.

Bob

ctitanic

Crazy, but the Sudoku game from Microsoft makes it really hot to the touch! A slow-paced game like that shouldn't use much CPU.
Bob
Sudoku uses 3 third party libraries some of them Open Source. If you ask me, it's the best example of bad coding.

Liam2349

On the other hand I'm using Chrome 37 64 bit and that is working fine. Swiping back to previous page (on the desktop!) works great, faster at reloading the previous page than MUI IE. I still prefer the latter, but I like a change now and then. Changed my title bar to black, and then maximize Chrome, it almost looks like you're running it in Modern UI.

I'll stay with IE in Modern though, Chrome still isn't ready for prime-time there... Too many Google-specific junk hanging around.

Bob

Don't forget the massive battery drain Chrome gives you. :(

Liam2349

So far in my short-term experience with my SP3 this makes sense. I've noticed the fan spinning up fast when downloading Photoshop and Lightroom and installing them, and when syncing with Dropbox.... the only other time was running LR and skipping quickly through RAW previews in the library view.. I have the LR catalogue placed on OneDrive though... so actually that was possibly to do with syncing to the cloud as well come to think of it...!

When I'm just surfing on IE (either desktop or metro as so far I've not got my head round which I'm using...lol) I haven't noticed the fan - it's been good as gold and very cool. I'm seriously impressed with it... this is a i7 shoehorned in a tiny space...!!

When I surf on IE , the top right corner gets warm and the fan comes On. Put your ear to the top-right corner, see if you can hear it.

Right now my CPU is at 76C with IE, Skype and One Note open. 3 tabs.

Just want to edit this by saying that since I restarted and finished installing some pending updates, I haven't had any issues like this. No more fan on IE.

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine's downloading 4000 (gulp) files on dropbox....!!! I didn't realise I had that many!

Might have to change the sync settings to stop it syncing some of those folders if I start running out of hard drive space... fair way to go yet though. I'm not sure what the temperature is, but the fan is running at what I'd guess is a reasonably fast speed. Back right is fairly hot but not too hot to touch. I don't know the temperature - is there an app you can use for that or is it just something built into windows?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine's downloading 4000 (gulp) files on dropbox....!!! I didn't realise I had that many!

Might have to change the sync settings to stop it syncing some of those folders if I start running out of hard drive space... fair way to go yet though. I'm not sure what the temperature is, but the fan is running at what I'd guess is a reasonably fast speed. Back right is fairly hot but not too hot to touch. I don't know the temperature - is there an app you can use for that or is it just something built into windows?
This is a good light weight monitor, much lighter than Intel's XTU.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Samstables

As others have mentioned already, syncing files (e.g. dropbox) seems to make it really hot, but now the sync has finished (17gb of stuff!) it's quiet and cool again. Not noticed anything else since the sync finished yet!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a combination of many things. Wifi activity can heat the device and the CPU is doing practically nothing.

So Sync with Onedrive can heat your device.
Chrome and hangouts will heat your device but decreasing the video bandwidth will help a little.

This was my experience last night, to the point that i just powered the machine off and put it aside. Need to look into the culprits today. But sat on desktop doing absolutely nothing, fan would not power down, zero cpu usage, no active wifi tasks, machine was burning hot.

Going to be keeping an eye on task manager for a while. Seems some apps etc are a little buggy or something, for instance it doesn't seem normal that MUI IE would require 500mb of ram for a single bing seach tab.

raginrogue

Chrome used to make my surface run hot but ever since switching to the chrome 38 beta it's been nice and cool unless i'm watching a 1080p or higher youtube video.