What's new

Projector Problems

simmons777

Any one else having problems with the MS VGA adapter with projectors on the Surface Pro? I've successfully used it with a monitor but I've tried it with two different projectors and no luck. I was out at a customer site yesterday, tried to use there Acer projector, no luck. I managed to get a picture for a few second and then it went away. It was embarrassing, the customer had to let me use his Mac book to do my presentation.

souldier

That is very strange. I bought a minidisplay port to VGA adapter off ebay for 6 dollars and I have tried it with both a monitor and a projector without a single problem over an extended period of time. I would expect the surface adapter to work just the same if not better since it is made specifically for the surface. My guess is the connection is loose

OP
S

simmons777

I spent an hour with MS support trying to figure it out. They are trying to tell me that the projector manufacturer need to submit new drivers for Widows 8. I'm not buying it though, I think there has to be some kind of loose connection somewhere. I'm having them ship me a new one.

souldier

Yeah I definitely don't buy it either. I never had to install any such drivers when connecting my pro to a projector. It was all plug and play. Meanwhile, I suggest you go online and buy a generic minidisplay port to vga adapter on ebay for 5-10 dollars and see if it works. If it does, while the surface adapter doesn't, then Microsoft has a serious problem.

Amalalib

Just curious if buying the inexpensive adapter worked for you. I am having the same problem but with a Surface RT. I have the $40 MS adaptor. I thought it may be a loose connection too.

OP
S

simmons777

Sorry, I should have shared, yes, I bought an adapter by Cirago from Amazon for about $15. It has worked perfectly, I've done customer presentations with it already and haven't found a project that it didn't work on yet. The MS Adapter is headed back to the MS Store.

souldier

Sorry, I should have shared, yes, I bought an adapter by Cirago from Amazon for about $15. It has worked perfectly, I've done customer presentations with it already and haven't found a project that it didn't work on yet. The MS Adapter is headed back to the MS Store.

It's quite unfortunate that the more expensive MS Surface adapter doesn't work similarly or better than cheaper generic adapters.

gb9810

Any one else having problems with the MS VGA adapter with projectors on the Surface Pro? I've successfully used it with a monitor but I've tried it with two different projectors and no luck. I was out at a customer site yesterday, tried to use there Acer projector, no luck. I managed to get a picture for a few second and then it went away. It was embarrassing, the customer had to let me use his Mac book to do my presentation.

EXACTLY the same problem! External monitor fine, but no larger projector with VGA adapter. Another Mac projects fine using the same VGA adapter, so the problem is with Surface Pro. We tried all the possible resolutions as often that's the culprit. We couldn't get it to work so I returned the Surface Pro to the MS store just now..

I would be curious to know if anyone has a fix.

machistmo

EXACTLY the same problem! External monitor fine, but no larger projector with VGA adapter. Another Mac projects fine using the same VGA adapter, so the problem is with Surface Pro. We tried all the possible resolutions as often that's the culprit. We couldn't get it to work so I returned the Surface Pro to the MS store just now..

I would be curious to know if anyone has a fix.

Looks like someone should have read the entire thread.

machistmo

It's quite unfortunate that the more expensive MS Surface adapter doesn't work similarly or better than cheaper generic adapters.

But I think this is classic. Anyone that pays 4x the going rate for an item because it says "Microsoft" or "Apple" on the box, deserves whatever happens next. Wait I own a Surface Pro and Wedge Mouse, forget what I just said.....I saw that $40 Cable on sale when I picked up my Surface and thought, 40 bucks for VGA? Amazon has it for $2 - 10... I bought my Mini DP to HDMI for like $8 and I think I overpaid.