What's new

Protection Plans for your Surface Pro 3

cdf3

Has anyone purchased a Protection Plan for their Surface Pro 3?
I've taken a look at a few, while trying to decide which is best:

Microsoft Complete - 1 Year Extended Service Plan with ADP for $149.99

BestBuy Accidental Protection (Covers drops & spills) $179/1 year, $249/2year, $449.98/3 year

SquareTrade - Warranty + ADH $164.99/3 year ($124.99 w/ 40% off coupon code), $224.99/3 year ($184.99 w/ 40% off coupon code)

BestBuy plan is too expensive in my opinion. I noticed quite a few people signing up for the Microsoft Complete plan. SqaureTrade warranty looks very tempting. I've used them before with my tablets and cell phones.

double07

Many of my devices are covered by Squaretrade. The price is good. I was pretty happy with the service last time when I had to send in my daughter Alienware laptop to get main board replace. It took few days, mainly they had to get the part. The process was painless.

I like BB service as well. I used their service few times and I was happy with that too.

malberttoo

Square Trade is a $75 deductible on my wife's iPhone, so I can't imagine it's cheaper than that on a SP3!

double07

There was no deductible when I had the laptop fixed with Squaretrade. I didn't pay a penny. Shipping round trip were free. They UPS pre-paid well protected box for me to put the laptop in. I dropped it off at UPS store. Monitor progress at their website. Few days later, I received the laptop back.

I am not trying to promote or got pay by this. I just want to share my good experience. Other folks might not?

Last edited:

malberttoo

Well for sure Square Trade generally gets great reviews. But I wonder how they actually deal with devices, like the Surface, that were never intended to be taken apart and thus declared by iFixIt to be "unrepairable"?

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Well for sure Square Trade generally gets great reviews. But I wonder how they actually deal with devices, like the Surface, that were never intended to be taken apart and thus declared by iFixIt to be "unrepairable"?

That's a good question. I see where they will give a replacement value for devices that cost less than $500, I wonder how this will effect the Surface Pro 3. I'll look into it further. Perhaps the Microsoft warranty might not be too bad after all.

ipaq_101

The MS warranty is the best deal out there, I went to get the unit swapped out yesterday and they weren't so eager to swap it for cosmetic issues, but when I told them and showed them the receipt that I had purchased the extended warranty, they changed their tune.

OP
cdf3

cdf3

Contacted SquareTrade, and they said if they can't repair it they will reimburse me the amount I paid for it from my original recipient.
Still deciding if I'll go with SquareTrade or Microsoft.

double07

Part of the registration process when purchased Squaretrade is, you need to provide copy of your receipt and then they will approve your coverage and claim. without the receipt they will NOT approve your claim.