What's new

Proxy Problems

Craddman

I'm new to Surface Pro and Windows 8. After reading many opinions NOT to use Norton and then others who said it's not as intrusive and a good program, I ended up downloading Norton Internet Security on my Surface. Now I'm having problems - I'm not sure they are Norton related - I am corresponding with Norton as we speak. All was fine and shortly after installing Norton, I can no longer access the internet from the tile on the start screen but I CAN access the internet from the Explorer icon pinned to the taskbar on my desktop. When I attempt to log on from the start screen tile I get the following message:

Screenshot (3).jpg

I got into Norton and played with the settings (turned most everything off) to no avail. I adjusted my Proxy settings (automatic) - no avail. I un-installed Norton - no change. I unpinned the tile and tried to set-it back up. No luck.

The Facebook app that my wife uses - no longer works. Anyone have any ideas - it is associated with Norton or was the timing coincidental? Any suggestions are appreciated.

mennogreg

First thing you can try is to go into IE (desktop version), and go into Internet Options (or open the charms sidebar and type in Internet Options in Search) and then the Advanced tab. Select the option to reset IE to its default state. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is perhaps it messed with your Windows Firewall settings, go into there and see if there's anything unusual. I've never used Norton, but also check to see if it added any add-ons to IE.

Obligatory whenever discussions of removal of antivirus COMPLETELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Craddman

Reset internet options, checked the proxy address and port on the desktop version and changed the start version to same. Turned firewall off (temporarily), checked the add ons. The only Norton (Symantec) add ons were disabled. No luck. Any other ideas anyone?

daniielrp

Reset internet options, checked the proxy address and port on the desktop version and changed the start version to same. Turned firewall off (temporarily), checked the add ons. The only Norton (Symantec) add ons were disabled. No luck. Any other ideas anyone?

Checked your DNS?

Can you ping addresses like Google?

leeshor

That number, 127.0.0.1 is called the local host, and indicates that you may have some sort of malware issue. Malware frequently redirects the Internet to the local system. You may want to try Malwarebytes to see if it finds an issue.