What's new

PS4 controller on SP3

Henry740

Hello i know this is a noob question but i just got the surface pro 3 and i want to use a Playstation 4 controller to play games. Is there software that i need to download or how do i get to use the controller on my SP3?

Thanks for the help!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never understood why sony don't jump at the opportunity to provide windows drivers for the ps3/4 controllers. Sure i prefer the 360 controller, but bluetooth is much more convenient than a dongle. My ps3 controller was awesome with my nexus tablets, and would be awesome with the sp3 for emulators (loving snowboard kids right now :)) but they just make it such a pain. Why wouldn't people want to buy a playstation controller to play games on pc?

brice

AFAIK the PS4 controller is windows compatible, it's just that most games expect a x360 or xbox one controller.

ChiGGz

Googled it and found out you need to press both the Share and PS button. I don't remember seeing anything about the share button in the DS4windows app.

After I got it discoverable, it took a few times to pair, but it's working well now. Thanks!

ptrkhh

I've never understood why sony don't jump at the opportunity to provide windows drivers for the ps3/4 controllers.
Simply because people will probably consider getting a PC rather than a PS4, considering a similarly-specced PC (AMD APU / mid-range GPU) costs nearly the same as the PS4. Some performance laptops, which you may already have, are as powerful as the PS4 already, but Sony doesn't want you to even think about it.

brice

Simply because people will probably consider getting a PC rather than a PS4, considering a similarly-specced PC (AMD APU / mid-range GPU) costs nearly the same as the PS4. Some performance laptops, which you may already have, are as powerful as the PS4 already, but Sony doesn't want you to even think about it.

You're comparing apples and oranges, you cannot get a gaming PC for the same price as the PS4 or the xbox one (let alone with a controller).
You wouldn't get access to the same library of games designed to run on that hardware.
And the fact is Sony made their controller Windows compatible.