What's new

[PSA] Surface Book keyboard manual release

KBoss

Apparently the Surface Book has a manual release to detach the keyboard from the base. Found this after reading through a reddit post

"Okay. On the right hand side of the clipboard about 4-6 holes up is an emergency release. You will need a paperclip and it will go in at a bit of an angle. This will disengage the keyboard manually. You may need to fiddle a bit to fully detach but it will come apart. After that, plug in the clipboard and all should be good to go.

Hope this helps. "

Surface Book detach light is red • /r/Surface

ncameron

This is very useful to know - but I hate the thought of randomly poking in my SB innards 'around' holes 4, 5 and 6 and sticking a sharp piece of metal into some internal component that I shouldn't.

If anyone has the courage to test this out, could I ask that they post EXACTLY which hole to use...?

Seneleron

If you take a flashlight to it you can kinda sorta see the hole @ 6. I stuck a piece of wire in there and can feel the lever, though I can't get it to actually detach

Wayne Orwig

You would HAVE to do the left and the right seperately.
And if in the process, you accidentally pop the muscle wire off of the cam, you are totally screwed.

Niterider4

This might be useful in a pinch, but I would say that experimenting to see if it will work falls squarely into the category of events where, shortly after, you say "What the heck was I thinking?"

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Tried it on my SB2 15". Works, exactly as in the video. I used an iPhone light to illuminate. Holes 5 and 6 are deeper/clearer than the neighboring holes. Lever seems to be halfway between hole 5 and 6, which is why a slight angle into hole 5 works.

MSSurfaceLover

I had my screen turned around on my Surface Book 2 and the battery wasn't charging, so the computer died and I couldn't remove the screen to fix the problem. I used this method to remove my screen and reverse it back. It worked perfectly. Thank you!