What's new

Pulled the String - Now what to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLittle

I purchased the SP 2 128gb from Best Buy. And I have done a little research but not enough since I had owned the SP 1 and it was fantastic. So I purchased the SP 2, after 3-4 failed attempts at cheaper alternatives, thinking all is well until I start looking at the forum here a little closer.

Thanks to any and all who will chime in to this thread with a list of SP 2 issues as well as fixes if any as I would really like to know before my return period is over if I've made a mistake.

I used it most of yesterday and for what I do it seemed to work very nicely.

thanks in advance...

Dim-Ize

Congrats, MickeyLittle! Great purchase and great decision.

I've had the SP2 (256/8) since its launch and not had any issues whatsoever. However, some members on here have experienced various issues related to build of their unit (hardware) as well as Firmware issues after the latest MS patch. While I have had neither hardware nor software related issues, I can certainly empathize.

I've enjoyed the device as my primary system for computing - converging three previous devices into one (i.e. laptop, notebook, and iPad into a single device). I have the Type Cover 2 (travel), Xbox controller, 3-port+Ethernet USB hub, 64 GB SDX, 32 GB USB (always in the hub), HDMI&VGA adapters, Wedge Keyboard (daily), Arc Mouse Surface (travel), and Sculpt Mouse (daily driver) and a sleeve (Snugg) plus case (not using it).

I run Office 2013, Steam, VPN client, corporate issued software, as well as a host of Metro Apps. It's very familiar to you since you had the SP with the obvious improvements in CPU/GPU, battery life, kickstand, improved screen, and better speakers. Hope you have a great experience.

As you well know, there are many here to offer ideas for issues as well as MS site to post bugs, etc.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Congrats, MickeyLittle! Great purchase and great decision.

I've had the SP2 (256/8) since its launch and not had any issues whatsoever. However, some members on here have experienced various issues related to build of their unit (hardware) as well as Firmware issues after the latest MS patch. While I have had neither hardware nor software related issues, I can certainly empathize.

I've enjoyed the device as my primary system for computing - converging three previous devices into one (i.e. laptop, notebook, and iPad into a single device). I have the Type Cover 2 (travel), Xbox controller, 3-port+Ethernet USB hub, 64 GB SDX, 32 GB USB (always in the hub), HDMI&VGA adapters, Wedge Keyboard (daily), Arc Mouse Surface (travel), and Sculpt Mouse (daily driver) and a sleeve (Snugg) plus case (not using it).

I run Office 2013, Steam, VPN client, corporate issued software, as well as a host of Metro Apps. It's very familiar to you since you had the SP with the obvious improvements in CPU/GPU, battery life, kickstand, improved screen, and better speakers. Hope you have a great experience.

As you well know, there are many here to offer ideas for issues as well as MS site to post bugs, etc.

Power User with tons of success! I like! Thanks for all the info. I am loving it so far and enjoying the battery boost for sure. I did notice myself bumping the brightness level to about 75% a few minutes ago as the screen just looked a little darker to me than I like. Yes I have the auto brightness turned off... I'm hoping going from 50% - 75% screen brightness won't totally kill my battery. :smile:

DragonGamer

If you have got the device just now, you shouldn't worry too much, since almost all of the issues mentioned here during the last two weeks are caused by this recent december firmware update which was taken off the servers already so nobody can install it anymore...
Like with all devices there are also ones where manufacturing got wrong, but I personally am very confident that the replacement system will soon run smoothly as soon as the christmas hassle is over and Microsoft finally has enough devices in stock...

Maybe do some tests like test the USB port with as many devices as you have to see whether there are any disconnection problems (like someone here described).

Besides, are you planning to use "Solidworks" or similar 3D rendering software (not games)? In that case you might require a registry edit to enable the use of the SP 2's full power...

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

If you have got the device just now, you shouldn't worry too much, since almost all of the issues mentioned here during the last two weeks are caused by this recent december firmware update which was taken off the servers already so nobody can install it anymore...
Like with all devices there are also ones where manufacturing got wrong, but I personally am very confident that the replacement system will soon run smoothly as soon as the christmas hassle is over and Microsoft finally has enough devices in stock...

Maybe do some tests like test the USB port with as many devices as you have to see whether there are any disconnection problems (like someone here described).

Besides, are you planning to use "Solidworks" or similar 3D rendering software (not games)? In that case you might require a registry edit to enable the use of the SP 2's full power...

Since I just bought this on 12/29 so that's great that I missed the firmware messup! I am pretty much planning to use it as a tablet period. I'm not a gamer but I do remote into work and that is working great. I've got Office 365 and no problems there and am a big One Note user and love how fast they sync between the Surface and my desktop.

I thought about replacing my desktop with my Surface but just don't think that will really benefit me right now even though it has the power to do so.

Nuspieds

If you had the SP1 and you liked it, then, no, you certainly didn't make a mistake with the SP2.

I specifically chose the Surface Pro 1 to replace my ThinkPad W700 and it was the best decision I made! I haven't regretted it for a single nanosecond.

Personally, I think that a lot of people (both consumers and those in the media) forget that when it comes to the Wintel platform, due to its open architecture, it is rife with all sorts of hardware/firmware/compatibility issues; that's the price we pay for adopting an open architecture ecosystem. There are issues that I'm encountering today that I encountered on my ThinkPad; that's just the nature of the Wintel beast, no matter the form factor. Unfortunately, with the SP being a new device, form factor and compared to the iPad, its issues are being over-scrutinized than, say, a regular Wintel PC.

Still, if the SP1 suited your needs, then you'll also love the SP2. As for me, I love Windows 8.1 and the speed of the SP2 CPU!

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

It's typical for those with problems to post them on forums while the majority of happy users remain silent.

No doubt about that so it's really good to hear that others here are not experiencing major tablet issues. I guess for most people, why go to the forum unless I need to get something fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.