What's new

Purchasing a used SP3...

Hello,

I am thinking about picking up a used Surface Pro 3 for $650. It is the i5/4GB/128 model, with Type Cover, sleeve and a Microsoft mouse. There is still a bit of the 1 year manufacturer's warranty on it. It looks to be lightly used and in pretty good condition.

I think $650 is a pretty good deal, but I cannot help but to feel a bit apprehensive about purchasing it. What do you all think? Am I still able to get the Microsoft Complete, since it is still under warranty? That will put my mind at ease a bit.

Thank you in advance for your help!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, you will not be able to buy Microsoft complete, and I will be shocked if ANY company offers a warranty on a second hand good. they nearly always require an extended warranty to be purchased within X days of the retail sale and proof of the date to be provided.

Buying second hand is always one of those do I don't I deals. the best you can do is search feedback if on ebay etc, give his name a google alongside a related buzzword (such as Daniel Jones surface pro 3) just to see if he has any online presence detailing problems etc, and other than that, well you've just got to bite the bullet and hope all is well :) Is it from a website that would offer you some form of buyer protection against wrong descriptions, or faulty on delivery etc, or is this from a forum or craigslist etc?

No, you will not be able to buy Microsoft complete, and I will be shocked if ANY company offers a warranty on a second hand good. they nearly always require an extended warranty to be purchased within X days of the retail sale and proof of the date to be provided.

Buying second hand is always one of those do I don't I deals. the best you can do is search feedback if on ebay etc, give his name a google alongside a related buzzword (such as Daniel Jones surface pro 3) just to see if he has any online presence detailing problems etc, and other than that, well you've just got to bite the bullet and hope all is well :) Is it from a website that would offer you some form of buyer protection against wrong descriptions, or faulty on delivery etc, or is this from a forum or craigslist etc?

Thank you for your response!

It is from Craigslist. There will be definitely no returns lol. I could just go get a brand new one, but at that price, if everything is as good as the guy says it is, is a really good deal. I guess I am being a little cheap. I would get to go check it out and everything before I buy, of course. There is still a warranty on it, I just have to find out how long it has left.

I know pictures can be deceiving, but it looks in really good shape and the guy says it has been lightly used. He is selling it because he is going back to a Mac.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well just remember, should you find anything wrong with it, if under warranty, then you could send it back straight away. And while it is craigslist (as someone from the UK, we hear nothing but rape murder and theft about that place :p) common sense would say that if it is indeed under warranty, then if there was a problem he'd have simply had the device replaced by MS before selling it.

At that price, if it is feasible, no harm in going and having a look and making up your mind, but no, i'd never buy unseen.

Well just remember, should you find anything wrong with it, if under warranty, then you could send it back straight away. And while it is craigslist (as someone from the UK, we hear nothing but rape murder and theft about that place :p) common sense would say that if it is indeed under warranty, then if there was a problem he'd have simply had the device replaced by MS before selling it.

At that price, if it is feasible, no harm in going and having a look and making up your mind, but no, i'd never buy unseen.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I know the horror stories lol.

I just spoke with him and he said that there is roughly 6 months left on the warranty. I think it is too good of a deal to pass up. I just a bit hesitant, though.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just make sure he shows you his MS account page to confirm the warranty period, and if you do purchase, does whatever is required to allow the warranty to move to your on MS account.

Compusmurf

Meet the person in a public place, sit and chat for a few. Ask them how they used it, if they had issues, and general stuff about it. If the person doesn't know anything about it, or hasn't actually used it (you'll get the feel) then it might even be stolen. If you get a bad feeling for any reason from the person, it's ok to walk away from it. Most folks can tell you all about their SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just make sure he shows you his MS account page to confirm the warranty period, and if you do purchase, does whatever is required to allow the warranty to move to your on MS account.
Totally agree there, I've seen few post by people who had a Surface they couldn't get warranty service on because it was registered to another person.

Meet the person in a public place, sit and chat for a few. Ask them how they used it, if they had issues, and general stuff about it. If the person doesn't know anything about it, or hasn't actually used it (you'll get the feel) then it might even be stolen. If you get a bad feeling for any reason from the person, it's ok to walk away from it. Most folks can tell you all about their SP3.

Totally agree there, I've seen few post by people who had a Surface they couldn't get warranty service on because it was registered to another person.

Thank, everyone, for the responses!

I said screw it and bought a new i5/128GB/4GB model. I got a student discount with a sale at Best Buy with the Type Cover for $941 (that is including tax). A bit more money, but a little extra piece of mind ;).