What's new

Purchasing SB Soon

cmcigas

Hi everyone, I am buying my first Surface device soon the Surface Book. I know theres several issues with it but I read around that most of the issues have been fixed?

Once I receive it is there anything I should know or do instead of update it of course to get my self ready for the issues I may have if I have any?

What is the most common issue anyway?

I will be using it for school with a lot of virtual machines and also some photoshop on the side for fun and just web browsing.

Orlbuckeye

Well not sure if this is still true but when you get an turn it on it pops up to a login that just doesn't work even if you already have a MS account. You have to select the restart buttomn and after the restart it will start to configure Windows first by connecting to a network.

No.
Only issue is - after installation software update and subsequent re-installation firmware it needs two restarts for eye login to work correctly.

Bandito

I recently bought my SB thinking that it should be in pretty good shape by now, but really it's not. It has some very fundamental problems. The biggest problem for me is that when the system comes out of hibernation, it frequently causes a reboot, which of course closes all programs unexpectedly. This means you can't rely on the computer to return to the exact same state you left it in last, with all of your favorite applications open and websites that you've been on in the browser.

Currently, you can expect to have sleep/hibernation issues, Windows Hello camera issues, problems using external monitors, slow USB 3.0 speeds, and various strange inexplicable problems. If you are a heavy user of the Touchpad, it has issues, too.

If you're computer savvy and enjoy troubleshooting issues, the SB is the computer for you! You'll be able to spend hours and hours researching solutions and testing them out on your SB to see if they make it work or not. If you generally want a smooth experience where things simply work as expected, I wouldn't recommend getting an SB at this time.

I had a few issues with my SP3 that I bought on release day, but they were eventually addressed by Microsoft and it became a solid machine after a few month's time. The same cannot be said of the SB. While I'm sure that most issues will eventually get ironed out, at this point, it's anyone's guess as to when we'll get reliable stable computers.

Last edited:

baydude

I had the same dilemma a month ago assuming most of the bugs should be fixed. I took the risk and purchased one and had to do an exchange for a new one within 3 weeks because couldn't refresh the recovery image. Still have most of the issues mentioned above w/ a brand new one..

For $2k and the amount of time MS had to fix all the bugs, I didn't think it would have been this bad by now..