What's new

PXE Booting?

netuser

Does anyone know if the Surface 3 will support network booting using a USB Ethernet adapter?
They will be selling the business version with 8.1 Pro through commercial resellers and PXE booting is a feature many business customers will want.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the Surface 3 will support network booting using a USB Ethernet adapter?
They will be selling the business version with 8.1 Pro through commercial resellers and PXE booting is a feature many business customers will want.
Typically the Ethernet adapter that is built into the dock and the Official Surface Ethernet Adapter will support PXE, third party ones will not, this is due to Secure Boot.

OP
N

netuser

Typically the Ethernet adapter that is built into the dock and the Official Surface Ethernet Adapter will support PXE, third party ones will not, this is due to Secure Boot.

I know their is a USB Ethernet adapter for Surface Pros. I wonder if it will work with the Surface 3 or if there will be some other new dongle the Surface 3 will need.

PXE booting was not available on the original Surface Pro until a firmware update came months after its release.
I'd like to find out if this feature will be enabled on the Surface 3 at launch, if ever.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I know their is a USB Ethernet adapter for Surface Pros. I wonder if it will work with the Surface 3 or if there will be some other new dongle the Surface 3 will need.

PXE booting was not available on the original Surface Pro until a firmware update came months after its release.
I'd like to find out if this feature will be enabled on the Surface 3 at launch, if ever.
I would reach out to Microsoft Enterprise Sales, I will reach out to my contacts as well....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
PXE will not be available at launch, my understanding from my contacts is it will be added via a Firmware Update post launch....