What's new

Q: On connected standby and High Performance mode

I have a SP2Pro, but pretty sure if I upgrade to the SP4 when it comes out, it'll have the connected standby enabled. Just how much battery drain is this on a SP3? I read this varies alot for people, some saying that 100% full battery, it'll drain the battery to 50% with no SP3 use for 24hrs?
Also, is it still true there is still no High Performace mode? If there is, will it actually have a major performance/battery life hit on the SP3? Example: IF I had the high performance power mode on, but not doing anything but webbrowsing, Office stuff, no gaming, how bad will that drain the battery?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If someone is expiring Connected Standby drains of 50% then something is preventing the machine from entering Connected Standby and/or hibernation. It should less than 5% over a 24 hour period.

On a Connected Standby enabled device the only way to other power schemes is to disable Connected Standby which leaves Hibernation as your only choice other than off.

OP
S

starstreak

If someone is expiring Connected Standby drains of 50% then something is preventing the machine from entering Connected Standby and/or hibernation. It should less than 5% over a 24 hour period.

On a Connected Standby enabled device the only way to other power schemes is to disable Connected Standby which leaves Hibernation as your only choice other than off.

Does Connected Standby only work while plugged into power? Maybe she was getting alot emails? I know she uses it for work. How often (sorry, I didn't google this part) does the unit turn on to check mail? And will it only use Windows Mail? I think she used Office outlook 365.

UPDATE: I googled. So Connected Standby works with APPs only. And does windows maintanance ONLY while on power. Hmm... So that shouldn't be the cause of her battery drain, unless something else is turning on the computer without her knowing. She said it happens while not plugged into power. She'll charge to 100% on a friday at work. And when she turns on the SP3 on Sunday, battery will be anywhere from 50%-80%. (So it's not always draining to 50%.)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All Win32 programs treat Connected Standby has normal S3 Sleep and get suspended (or at least in theory). If a Win32 Application balks at suspending it can prevent the device from entering Connected Standby and will result in battery drain.

The only Apps that can be active in Connected Standby are WinRT Apps and the only get small time slices for push and pull notifications, again a healthy system should lose no more than 5%. Connected Standby is the same power scheme that ARM based Phones and Tablets use.

Also be aware the SP3 uses a Hybrid Connected Standby Power Scheme (as the Core U is not natively S0iX Capable). The Sp3 uses Connected Standby for up to 4 hours and then enters into a "lite" hibernation for 8 hours and at 12 hours will enter a deep hibernation that should hold the battery level for over a year.

ptrkhh

In my case, I got an average of 0.55% per hour drain during connected standby, I know some Android tablets that fare worse than that. However, SP3 is not very efficient in connected standby compared to most ARM tablets like the Surface RT.

The Sp3 uses Connected Standby for up to 4 hours and then enters into a "lite" hibernation for 8 hours and at 12 hours will enter a deep hibernation that should hold the battery level for over a year.
What's the difference between the 'lite' and 'deep' hibernation? Why doesn't it go straight to deep hibernation after 4 hours instead?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In my case, I got an average of 0.55% per hour drain during connected standby, I know some Android tablets that fare worse than that. However, SP3 is not very efficient in connected standby compared to most ARM tablets like the Surface RT.

What's the difference between the 'lite' and 'deep' hibernation? Why doesn't it go straight to deep hibernation after 4 hours instead?
Perception, it comes out of lite hibernation much faster than it off traditional hibernation. 2 to 4 seconds vs 7 to 10 seconds from normal hibernation.

malberttoo

Perception, it comes out of lite hibernation much faster than it off traditional hibernation. 2 to 4 seconds vs 7 to 10 seconds from normal hibernation.

Perception indeed. Even powering on my SP3 from being completely powered off is faster than any machine I've ever owned.

I'm a new SP3 owner and I'm seeing fairly consistent 0.5% battery drain per hour during the 4 hour connected standby sessions. So, the total battery drain during the 4 hr is about 2%, which is OK by be but far from the ideal CS specs.

On your other question of battery drain on high performance doing the normal stuff like web browsing, office, etc....I'm actually not seeing the need for the "high performance" mode as SP3 is plenty fast for virtually anything you can throw at it except gaming and video editing tasks.