What's new

Query on Surface Book Power Base

Chris Grew

Hi All,

I have added a Surface Book i7, 16GB 500GB to my Surface Pro 4 similar spec. Mainly because I want to use it for Lightroom and Photoshop whilst travelling.

The question which I don't seem to be able to find an answer to is, does the power base still work when the display has been reversed. Obviously the keyboard doesn't, that is not a problem. But I want to be able to work in Photoshop using the pen without being restricted.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Chris

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @Chris Grew

I am writing this from my Surface Book with Performance Base, with the screen attached backwards. The keyboard does not respond, per design, just as you suspect, but the SB has access to both batteries. Also the charger can be connected.

One more thing: I own two Surface Book devices, a 1TB with Performance Base, and a 512GB standard edition. The bases are interchangeable!

Hope this helps.

OP
Chris Grew

Chris Grew

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I didn't do a good job of asking my question. It is the Nvidia 965m GPU with 2GB of video RAM in the power base I am interested in. Does this continue working when the screen is turned around? I may be wrong but was under the impression that this helps with the likes of Lightroom and Photoshop. Which is obviously what I need!

Best regards

Chris

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the GPU will keep working, even if you choose to run with the screen reversed and in "Tablet Mode".

For example, I just started Corel Paintshop Pro X9 using the "High performance NVIDIA processor", while my clipboard is reversed, and in Tablet Mode.

Orlbuckeye

Basically when you try to disconnect the clipboard you will get prompted to close the apps that are using the DGPU. So i suggest you launch the apps after the clipboard is reattached after turning it around.