What's new

Question about App store

kristalsoldier

Hi...

Kinda late to be asking this, but it is obvious that the App store for Win 8 and Win 8 RT are different right? But I wonder why would some apps like Expedia which is available on the Win 8 store (which I access from my desktop machine) is not available in the Win 8 RT store? Is there any specific reason why?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All developers have the choice on how to compile their apps, x86 only, ARM only or both....I don't think I've seen a ARM only app yet though but that's likely due to the fact that Visual Studio 2012 is an x86 application and the default compile is for x86.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

All developers have the choice on how to compile their apps, x86 only, ARM only or both....I don't think I've seen a ARM only app yet though but that's likely due to the fact that Visual Studio 2012 is an x86 application and the default compile is for x86.

I see. Thanks. But it is quite odd, isn't it that apps like Expedia which would work well (in terms of utility, among other things) on a mobile platform are not released for it. Instead they are released for x86? I use Expedia on my Nexus 10 and like it quite a lot and think it would be very helpful on the Surface RT too. But obviously Expedia does not think so...at least yet!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think what we're seeing is the install base for x86 is much greater than ARM and developers have a better chance for usage by releasing on x86 first.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I think what we're seeing is the install base for x86 is much greater than ARM and developers have a better chance for usage by releasing on x86 first.

Yup...that makes sense, though it is a pity because it only means that development for the RT platform will be much slower.

TeknoBlast

I thought the developer tools compiles both ARM and x86 versions at the same time. I know it's two different coding, but wouldn't it make sense for the tool to push out both at the same time. Just a thought. Im no developer, so don't know what it takes to develop both.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is an option Darth, but IIRC the default is x86 only (I think its left over from the beta as x86 was the only real thing to code against).

ArnoldC

The difference in the App Store is that RT obviously won't see "Desktop Applications"
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

J515OP

Super Moderator
For new apps it is pretty much laziness to not also compile for RT. MS has made it basically equally easy to develop for both though the default is to compile for x86 as Jeff said. It might take a little time for devs to catch on to the process for making apps for both at the same time.

bosamar

For new apps it is pretty much laziness to not also compile for RT. MS has made it basically equally easy to develop for both though the default is to compile for x86 as Jeff said. It might take a little time for devs to catch on to the process for making apps for both at the same time.

And since Microsoft officially said they will support RT for the next 3-4 years I don't see why not.

ArnoldC

I compile a few apps for the RT, but of course I can't share them.

For personal use, you can get a developer account and write your own applications.