What's new

Question about disabling hibernation function

nipponham

I understand that you can disable hibernation and reclaim almost your RAM's worth in drive space. My question is, what happens after four hours of connected standby when SP3 is supposed to go into hibernation? Does it just continue to be in CS so it wakes up almost instantly when you turn it on, even after say ten hours? Or will it create a new hiberfil.sys file and dump everything there before reverting to hibernation?

malberttoo

I believe it will simply stay in CS. The downside is that if you're on battery and it's in CS, it will probably just die, taking any unsaved work along with it.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

What do you mean by
The downside is that if you're on battery and it's in CS, it will probably just die, taking any unsaved work along with it.
If it's in CS, anything on screen is kept in RAM, is it not? Or are you talking about SP3 shutting down after its battery has been drained? I always save my work as a matter of habit so I'm not too worried about losing data, but I'm not sure what the connection is between disabling hibernation and SP3 not keeping data in RAM in CS.

zhenya

If you disable hibernate the device will just stay in CS until it drains the battery. That drain will happen quite a bit faster than if it were able to hibernate as designed after 4 hours, and when it dies, the Surface will just shut off - no proper shut down, nothing will be saved.

malberttoo

What do you mean by

If it's in CS, anything on screen is kept in RAM, is it not? Or are you talking about SP3 shutting down after its battery has been drained? I always save my work as a matter of habit so I'm not too worried about losing data, but I'm not sure what the connection is between disabling hibernation and SP3 not keeping data in RAM in CS.

Yes, exactly what I was saying. CS saves your work to RAM, which of course is volatile and requires some small current to keep alive. As well, CS itself is also very briefly powering the WiFi card from time to time.

So I'm guessing that if you leave in the machine in CS (with Hibernation disabled) then when the battery drains, you will lose any unsaved work.

But you indicate that you've conditioned yourself to always save your work, so you're good to go there. :D

Neko

I disabled hibernate and cs drained 12% battery within the last 22 hours (closed at 0:30 and reopened at 22:40) - as i love speed, i disabled hibernate and pagefile and "safe often and safe early"!

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Thanks for the reference, Neko. I hardly ever keep my machine in sleep long enough for it to go to hibernate so I'm thinking of disabling it and reclaiming the nearly 8GB the hibernation file is taking up. I have plenty of free space so it's not a priority but just seeing what my options are in terms of efficiency.

kevinlevrone

I have hibernation disabled and the SP3 still does not stay in connected stand-by more than 4 hours except when the charger is connected when it does stay in connected stand-by for any period of time. I think that there is a deeper sleep level (the "classic" sleep) that it switches to, after 4 hours on battery.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Remember that the SP3 has a Power Management Firmware Chip that runs below the OS that controls it behavior outside of Windows (this is what allows for the modified S4 behavior), so it may still be hibernating but is creating the hibernate.sys on the fly...

ptrkhh

I have hibernation disabled and the SP3 still does not stay in connected stand-by more than 4 hours except when the charger is connected when it does stay in connected stand-by for any period of time. I think that there is a deeper sleep level (the "classic" sleep) that it switches to, after 4 hours on battery.
Are you sure? I also disabled hibernation on my SP3, and it keeps staying in CS after 4 hours, even though its not recorded in sleepstudy.

Neko

upload_2015-1-6_23-53-20.png

According to this screenshot/batteryreport, my sp3 stayed in cs.

kevinlevrone

Are you sure? I also disabled hibernation on my SP3, and it keeps staying in CS after 4 hours, even though its not recorded in sleepstudy.

Well, I can only tell you what does get recorded in the sleepstudy. Mine doesn't pass 4 hours while on battery. It may also depend on what the power plan settings are. I use de default.

But really, who cares :)