What's new

Question about IE11

kristalsoldier

Hi...

This is going to be a bit of a problem to explain. This is because I am going to be referring to a site - which I have to use for work - to which I cannot give a link for various reasons. Nevertheless, the outlines of the issue are as under:

There is a certain site (membership and invitation required to access) which I frequent. Often they have documents to share which are usually rendered in PDF, ePUB, DJVUE, and MOBI formats. The problem I am referring to is specifically about ePUB files.

When using IE11 (desktop version and Modern Version - both on my desktop machine and the Surface) to access the ePUB documents, I am presented with an option to download a ZIP folder. However, when I use Chrome and/ or Firefox (on my desktop machine) to access the same document, I get it in the way it is supposed to be as a file with an ePUB extension.

I tried to use the compatibility setting on IE 11, but that does not work. If anything, it wrecks the formatting of the site and the what should be a single ePUB file remains available for download as a ZIP folder.

Does anyone have any insights into what is going on here and how I can use IE11 (either version) to access the site? I'd hate to be compelled to use Chrome and/ or Firefox aside from the fact that when I am on the Surface it would really become problematic. Note this problem is specifically happening with ePUB files and not the other formats mentioned above.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have an application installed that is the default ePub reader and it is associated with .epub files? Both Chrome and Firefox have their own file extension handlers, IE uses Windows for file extensions...

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Do you have an application installed that is the default ePub reader and it is associated with .epub files? Both Chrome and Firefox have their own file extension handlers, IE uses Windows for file extensions...

Well, yes, I do. But the point is that I initially save the file on my PC and then transfer it into OneDrive where I access it from a variety of devices - Surface, iPad Air etc.

Edit: One other point: This started happening sometime just before the 8.1 update. Before that it was all fine.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds that Windows doesn't have an association for .epub files any longer or it is misinterpreted the file mime type from the web server. When it downloads the file does it come down as a .zip file?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Sounds that Windows doesn't have an association for .epub files any longer or it is misinterpreted the file mime type from the web server. When it downloads the file does it come down as a .zip file?

Yes that is exactly what happens....any way to fix this? BTW, this behaviour is specific to that site only. Does not happen on any other site - for me at least - till date. With specific reference to the part in bold, that is exactly where the problem lies - I am sure of it.

Edit: This is definitely a problem with IE11 only. Because if it was a problem with Windows then this problem should also be happening with Firefox and Chrome on a Win 8.1 Update machine. But it is not. On both Chrome and Firefox the file is recognized and downloaded as an ePub file as it should be. Gosh...maybe I have to opt for the Surface Pro sooner than I thought!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Firefox and Chrome have their own file handlers built into their browsers. The Web Server sends a GUID to the browser of the file type, that seems to be where the misinterpretation is happening. What happens if change the ".zip" extension to ".epub"?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Firefox and Chrome have their own file handlers built into their browsers. The Web Server sends a GUID to the browser of the file type, that seems to be where the misinterpretation is happening. What happens if change the ".zip" extension to ".epub"?

Nothing happens. It remains as a Zip file, albeit with a .epub extension which seems to have no effect! Is there anyways to fix this problem in IE11?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is that they are now "filename.epub.zip" You would need to in Explorer go into the View Tab... Options.... Change Folder Options.... View Tab.... uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions of known File Types"

You could check your file associations and set a default .epub application, but in all honesty it is the web server issue...

If the web master add this string to the directory hosting the files (Assuming the server is running Apache)

AddType application/epub+zip .epubto

To the .htaccess file in the directory containing your epub (or the root directory if you have several epubs in different sub-directories).

If they are running IIS (Windows Server)

They can add the mime type from the IIS Management Interface.

.epub are very similar in how data is stored to how a.zip files handle data as well (as do .docx, .xlsx, .pptx).

There is a very risky setting in IE that might fix it but it would potentially present a future security risk...

Desktop IE....Open Internet Options.... Security.... Custom.... Enable MIMI Sniffing to Disable, that way if the file is ".epub" but presents itself as a ".zip" IE will treat itself as a ".epub". This was added to prevent malware from downloading itself as a different extension but the installer would do an extension rename to something harmful.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

My guess is that they are now "filename.epub.zip" You would need to in Explorer go into the View Tab... Options.... Change Folder Options.... View Tab.... uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions of known File Types"

You could check your file associations and set a default .epub application, but in all honesty it is the web server issue...

If the web master add this string to the directory hosting the files (Assuming the server is running Apache)

AddType application/epub+zip .epubto

To the .htaccess file in the directory containing your epub (or the root directory if you have several epubs in different sub-directories).

If they are running IIS (Windows Server)

They can add the mime type from the IIS Management Interface.

.epub are very similar in how data is stored to how a.zip files handle data as well (as do .docx, .xlsx, .pptx).

There is a very risky setting in IE that might fix it but it would potentially present a future security risk...

Desktop IE....Open Internet Options.... Security.... Custom.... Enable MIMI Sniffing to Disable, that way if the file is ".epub" but presents itself as a ".zip" IE will treat itself as a ".epub". This was added to prevent malware from downloading itself as a different extension but the installer would do an extension rename to something harmful.

Thanks. I suspect this is indeed the case and I have posted a requested to the admins of the site.