What's new

Question about installing todays update(s)

Arizona Willie

I was going to install the updates and I noticed it said to be sure your battery was fully charged before updating.

So I made sure it was fully charged.

But I wonder what difference it makes if the battery is fully charged or not because I have it plugged in to the power supply.

I can see that if it was going to run on battery during the update, but it puzzles me why they want it fully charged before installing update when it is plugged in.

I hope they updated the battery app because that thing is useless.

I've been keeping a history of battery readings in a spreadsheet and calculating what the app thinks full charge is.

It varies between 1.96 hours and 5.64 hours.

One time I took two readings 3 minutes apart and the first reading gave a total battery time of 3 hrs and 49 minutes and the second one 3 minutes later said 5 hrs and 8 minutes!!!

Why does Microsoft put out such a POS?

demandarin

its just a precaution to make sure your device doesn't die out in the middle of updating the new firmware. just plug it up while its updating since it cant be used while its doing it anyways.

of course I wish battery life was better but I still think its a great device.

CrippsCorner

Yeah it is kinda weird... iirc with my iPhone it makes you plug it in if you have less than 50% battery, that at least actually makes sense!

Expliciate

Yeah it is kinda weird... iirc with my iPhone it makes you plug it in if you have less than 50% battery, that at least actually makes sense!

Well you know. The SP's battery life at 100% is about the same as an iPhone's at 50%. So it kinda makes senses lol.

machistmo

I was going to install the updates and I noticed it said to be sure your battery was fully charged before updating.

But I wonder what difference it makes if the battery is fully charged or not because I have it plugged in to the power supply.

I can see that if it was going to run on battery during the update, but it puzzles me why they want it fully charged before installing update when it is plugged in.

I've been keeping a history of battery readings in a spreadsheet and calculating what the app thinks full charge is.

One time I took two readings 3 minutes apart and the first reading gave a total battery time of 3 hrs and 49 minutes and the second one 3 minutes later said 5 hrs and 8 minutes!!!

What does you battery report say? WindowsKey + R, powercfg -batteryreport The report will be in the root of your profile. C:\users\grumpyoldbast@&%\battery report.html , its pretty helpful. :p

Part of it pasted below. The actual report is far longer and contains some good information.

batteryreport.jpg

Last edited:

Nuspieds

When my ThinkPad W700 was my primary PC, that thing was never accurate! It would report a huge amount of hours available and in a blink of an eye I'd need to search for a power outlet to plug it in!

Regarding the updates, though, they just don't want you to lose power during the update process. In my experience, a hardware vendor's firmware update has never taken hours upon hours such that a 100% battery charge was necessary, but I have always performed such updates with the hardware plugged in because who knows how long the firmware update would actually take and it is definitely something you do not want to interrupt.

CrippsCorner

Well you know. The SP's battery life at 100% is about the same as an iPhone's at 50%. So it kinda makes senses lol.

True
sorry.png
either way I still need to charge both the damn things each day. Still, I'd choose slick and sexy devices over heavy ones with a better battery any day...