What's new

Question about OneDrive Icon

kristalsoldier

Hi...

Again, a quick question regarding the OneDrive icon (in the System Tray).

Before the update to 8.1 Update 1, I used to see the small white coloured cloud in the System Tray (bottom right of screen near the date and time on the desktop side of things). At times, it would should files syncing or if I hovered the mouse over the cloud it would report that all files are synced.

Today, suddenly, I find that icon missing. Can anyone tell me how to get it back? It was very convenient to have that. I looked in my Surface 2 and there in the system tray, the icon is there, but it is not there on my desktop machine.

Thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kristal,

You should still have the Icon in the task tray, I'm assuming you've rebooted, so let's go a little deeper....

I remember you moved your target for Offline Access to your SD Card, right click on the OneDrive Icon in explorer and view sync problems. If that is grayed out, open up take manager... more details.... and verify that the OneDrive Sync Engine is running if not you can navigate to SkyDrive.exe (its in the System32 folder) double click it and see if it terminates, if it doesn't try moving it back to your root drive and see if that fixes it.

TeknoBlast

Right-click on the Taskbar and go to Properties. Click on the Customize button that's in the middle of the Properties panel. From there you can turn on or off the those icons.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Guys...thanks. But I should have clarified. My Surface 2 is working perfectly, this is about my desktop machine. I know this is a Surface forum and I should not have posted that request for help. But it is also an indication as to how much I have come to rely on this site for your help and expertise. I just reset my desktop machine and still there is no OneDrive icon in the system tray. But it is there on my Surface!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did all of the last rounds of updates install successfully? Or perhaps one is still pending?

Of course everything we said above outside of the SD card still applies...

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Did all of the last rounds of updates install successfully? Or perhaps one is still pending?

Of course everything we said above outside of the SD card still applies...

Everything was updated and working just fine. Suddenly, the icon went missing and the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer seemed to be continually in updating mode. Anyways, I have refreshed the machine and though it is taking a long time to download and install all the updates etc. let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive does suffer from all Network enabled Storage schemes, that if the file path becomes too long it chokes.....

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

OneNote does suffer from all Network enabled Storage schemes, that if the file path becomes too long it chokes.....

Well, after restoring the desktop machine, that icon seems to be back. Now, the question is - how good is the sync facility on OneDrive? I had my desktop machine to sync everything to OneDrive (including settings and tile layout etc.). Let's see how well the restoration of this goes. If it closely approximates what I had before the refresh/ reset, then I am sold on the MS solution. If not, I'll continue to have lingering questions.

EDIT: I am happy to report that OneDrive and the sync facility works precisely as advertised! My desktop machine is back up and running - just as it was before I reset it!

Last edited: