What's new

Question about Power consumption on Surface 2

kristalsoldier

Hi...

I have a question:

Last evening (say about 1:00AM), the battery meter read 41%. I deliberately left the device unplugged to see how much the battery would drain. This morning when I checked (around 9:30AM), the Surface was off - totally drained!

My settings are as follows: Under both battery and plugged in profile, the device is set "not to sleep". When the cover is shut and when the power button is pressed, the Surface is set to sleep.

Any idea what's going on?

Dewg

It ran out of power. Same would happen to a laptop. It needs to go to sleep. Set it to sleep after some time. I have mine set to turn off the display and sleep at the same time.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It ran out of power. Same would happen to a laptop. It needs to go to sleep. Set it to sleep after some time. I have mine set to turn off the display and sleep at the same time.

Hmmm... how would that be possible? If one of the settings - as I mentioned in my post - is that when the cover is shut the Surface should sleep then I would think that that would override the other settings, right?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one of the collision of legacy Windows code and Windows 8.1/RT and Connected Standby, basically with the above settings Krystal you've disabled most (all) of S0iX capabilities of RT, the way you've configured your power settings is appropriate for a legacy x86 but not a Connected Standby Machine. I lose around 1-5% overnight with the default power settings on my Surface 2.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Here is one of the collision of legacy Windows code and Windows 8.1/RT and Connected Standby, basically with the above settings Krystal you've disabled most (all) of S0iX capabilities of RT, the way you've configured your power settings is appropriate for a legacy x86 but not a Connected Standby Machine. I lose around 1-5% overnight with the default power settings on my Surface 2.

Right. Thanks. This is interesting. How to get back to the default settings on the Surface 2 then?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
sometimes I think this guy goes out of his way to set up his RT to fail LOL

I wouldn't go that far, Windows RT works best as an appliance, but because it is a direct port of the x86 Windows NT 6.3 it leaves a lot of the functionality that is in a normal x86 machine. So it is very easy to apply x86 reasoning to RT, so there is a learning curve. This is very akin to all the people who apply all of the tweaks that Black Viper recommends from the XP days to Windows 7 or 8, which actually hurts performance/battery life with the NT 6.x kernel.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

sometimes I think this guy goes out of his way to set up his RT to fail LOL

You mean me? Well, its not so much that I want my device to fail - after all, I am quite heavily invested in the platform and I do want the Surface RT platform to succeed because I think it is one of the first devices that I have been intuitively attracted to. It's just that I am still trying to both push the device to its limits AND to find a comfort level with it.