What's new

question about remote desktop

scadoosh

i was wondering if someone could breakdown remote desktop on the surface rt. i have never used this feature on any computer before so i was wondering if there were any limitations. can you basically do anything on the surface that you could do on your desktop that you link to when using remote desktop? for example could you download a program/application and use it? Thanks.

OP
S

scadoosh

i am thinking about purchasing the surface rt btw to clear things up. i have a macbook pro currently and am thinking about selling it and going with the rt if this remote desktop functionality works as intended. I would be connecting to a home desktop pc if that matters.

oion

The desktop PC you want to connect to must first be one of the following, AFAIK:

Windows XP Pro
Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate
Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro, or Enterprise

After that step and after setting things up, you're technically logging into the desktop and using the applications from that platform, viewing on your Surface (you're not actually running any other software on your Surface besides the Remote Desktop client/app itself). Yes, you can download and install stuff onto that desktop PC while you're logged in remotely from the Surface; it's just "remote control" really. There are tutorials online; I've never done it myself except a few times at work via work machines, because my home computer is Win7Home and my workplace doesn't allow non-company machines to connect. :(

camis1

RDP works seamlessly on the RT.. I have a client in the Caymans using a very i/o intensive accounting application developed by our company. I can log in to their terminal server without any issues and it flies......

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I do about 95% of my Business through RDP from my Surface RT to my Quad Core Desktop, and this very often is through a VPN connection, I run complex Macros, use Outlook and OneNote and Lync for IMs (and when required to host a meeting I have Lync dial my Windows Phone). Once you are RDP'd into the host it works just as if you were sitting in front of it with the added benefit if the host is Windows 8 Pro or greater, it becomes a Windows 8 Tablet with full multitouch support. :)

kristalsoldier

Hi all...

I have been trying to work out how the RDP works. The scenario is that I am trying to use my Surface RT to access my home machine which is running Win 8 Pro. Here is what I do and the results I get.
(1) I click on the RDP app on the Surface
(2) It asks me for the name of the target PC, which I enter
(3) It tries to connect. Fails. Says connection failed because the target PC is not set up to receive such a connection
(4) I say fine! I go to the target PC - verify the PC name (its correct); enable remote connection (through Control Panel>System)
(5) I go back to the Surface and try the process again from #1 above; Again, fails.

The only thing that I can thing I can think of is that while the Surface is connected to a HomeGroup Network, the Target PC is not. Could this be the problem? I should also mention one other point. The target PC (not the Surface RT) has a drive from my work mapped to it, which I access when I am connected via (office provided) VPN to the network of my place of work - this I do only occasionally on a need-basis. When I was trying the above, the target PC was not connected by VPN.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If the host is not part of the Home Group then it is treating the Network as a Public Network which would block all incoming requests, so if possible join the host to the Home Group.

kristalsoldier

If the host is not part of the Home Group then it is treating the Network as a Public Network which would block all incoming requests, so if possible join the host to the Home Group.

Well, when I set up the RT, I created a homegroup. The problem is that the Target PC cannot see the homegroup. When I try to join the homegroup, it asks to create one (this is on the target PC).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Delete the Home Group from the RT device and recreate on the Host then join the RT device to the new home group. Your other option is to open the RDP Ports for Public networks (not recommended).

kristalsoldier

Delete the Home Group from the RT device and recreate on the Host then join the RT device to the new home group. Your other option is to open the RDP Ports for Public networks (not recommended).

Well...I did that, but now the RT can't see the Home Group on the Host.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using dual band wireless with different networks? Also the RT should be able to see the RDP Host even if it isn't in the home group :)

kristalsoldier

Are you using dual band wireless with different networks? Also the RT should be able to see the RDP Host even if it isn't in the home group :)

How to check whether or not I am using dual band wireless. Apologies for this but British Telecom sent me their Home Wireless hub, which was literally plug and play.