What's new

Question about SSD

TeknoBlast

So I'm building a new computer with the latest Haswell CPU. I want to do this right, so I'm looking to purchase a SSD and use a HDD for data and media.

For the people that know more about the SSD hardware, what specs should I look when shopping for one? Some say IOPS, some say the Random 4K R/W, and some day the MAX R/W.

So which is it?

I've been eyeballing this one: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

But then I just received an offer for this one, but the specs are not that great compared to the Samsung:
Rakuten.com - OCZ Agility 3 480GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

OP
TeknoBlast

TeknoBlast

Thanks. That site helped. From the comparison, I think I will go with the Samsung. I want the better performance than storage, but extra storage wouldn't hurt though. Since I have a NAS on my network, storage on the desktop is not that big of a deal.

Arizona Willie

I'm using the Samsung 830 256 gb in this desktop and it is fine.
Personally, I would stick with Samsung.

It is plenty large enough for both the OS ( Windows 8 64bit ) and plenty of data. I have Office 365 plus many other programs residing on the SSD and still have 99 gb free at this moment.
Anything you use a lot and OFFICE benefits from being on the SSD. Using an HD is fine for pictures and document storage of archives etc. but I wouldn't put my heavily used programs on anything but the SSD these days.
I had Windows 7 on a 128 gb SSD and it is no longer used. I kept it as it was so I could go grab things I forgot or that I found I needed until I'm positive I have everything brought over to Windows 8 and then I will format it and make it a SSD data disk and have virtually everything except archives on SSD.

The price on HD's has dropped through the floor, of course, because everyone wants SSD's so HD's are more economical but they are way outclassed performance - wise by the SSD's.
I do still use the old HD'S for backups and probably will for a long time. Mainly because I have quite a few of them, some in 2 TB arrays so they run fairly quick, as HD's go.