What's new

Question about start up

RunMasterRy

Hi, I have a quick question about the start up about the surface pro 4.
When I bought the device yesterday I simply clicked the power button and it simply turned on. I did the set up and went to work. When I got home once again I simply pressed the power button and it turned on. I used it for a couple hours and no problem. Then after a couple of hours without using it I went to press the button and nothing, it doesn't turn on. Now I have to hold the power button down for like 30-45 seconds then it powers up. Once its powered up I can then press the power button to turn it on and off. So simply put after a couple hours of the surface pro 4 not in use I have the hold down the power until it turns on.

Is this normal? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodBytes

Does the problem persists? If not, then I can only think it went to hibernate, and when you pressed the power button, it got stuck restoring the session.

If that is the case, as the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book uses the latest technologies from about all parts used in the system, it is expected to encounter issues. I see A LOT of reported problems seems to be linked to the Intel integrated graphics drivers, so I won't be surprise if that is the case.

If your system works great now, I would advice to disable hybrid sleep and hibernation.

If it is Intel fault, then nothing new here, Intel being Intel as always, treating its graphics solution as a free solution, and put 0 effort in their product, despite you paying the price for the integrated graphics. Very sad, and poor quality drivers infects millions of users on all mobile devices.. It will probably take a few months with heavy pressure from computer manufacture on Intel to get their stuff in order.. somewhat, and deliver working drivers.

If it is because of another hardware, then it should be fixed soon enough.

Last edited:

barry.pearson

Not quite the same issue but I've always noticed on my previous surfaces that once the unit has been off for a while the power button won't wake it up immidiately. If I press the power button and it doesn't wake up right away I often find holding the power button for around 2-3 seconds will boot the device up. Certainly not as long as you seem to hold it however.

I always assumed this was something to do with the tablet going to sleep if you just press the power button, but then moving into a hibernation mode after an extended period of not being used.

GoodBytes

Not quite the same issue but I've always noticed on my previous surfaces that once the unit has been off for a while the power button won't wake it up immidiately. If I press the power button and it doesn't wake up right away I often find holding the power button for around 2-3 seconds will boot the device up. Certainly not as long as you seem to hold it however.

I always assumed this was something to do with the tablet going to sleep if you just press the power button, but then moving into a hibernation mode after an extended period of not being used.
Yea, sounds like hybrid sleep in action, which is what you described. Personally I always disable it, even on my laptop before I got my Surface Pro. But I have tendency to know if I am going to use my system soon after (so I put it to sleep), or won't (turn off. It boots really quickly).