What's new

Question about Surface Reviews (principally, the RT)

R0bR

The interesting thing about Surface RT is that it gets widespread negative reviews in the media, and yet if you come to this site or look at the reviews for Surface RT on Amazon or Best Buy it paints a different picture. Most of the reviews from consumers give it 4-5 stars out of 5 which is rather impressive. The challenge of the Surface RT is that you can't appreciate its capabilities looking at it in a store for 5 mins where it's easy to do that with an iPad since it's ONLY about the apps. This is why sales of them are better from Microsoft stores where you can really dig into well the Surface works with the staff to help. You go to Best Buy and half the time RT devices aren't working or don't have the keyboard and the staff have no clue. Of course this is soon to change with the new Microsoft & Best Buy deal. I still say the best thing about RT is not having legacy apps to deal with, I've already had to reset my Surface RT to factory due to an issue and I was back up and running within an hour. On my laptop it would be an all day event having to re-install and configure all my legacy apps.

Last edited:

cauzion

After using my Surface RT for almost 8 months, 7 hours/day, I decided to start a blog with REAL REVIEWS about Surface RT and Windows RT, including now Windows 8.1 RT Preview.
I use my Surface RT mostly for Business/Work, Personal Productivity, Travel and some fun. unfortunately I can't write all my stuff here, so, check http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com

pallentx

Dude, we get it. You posted the same link in this same thread a week ago - its just a few posts up. Are you climbing on the search returns yet?

Jglnaz372

The interesting thing about Surface RT is that it gets widespread negative reviews in the media, and yet if you come to this site or look at the reviews for Surface RT on Amazon or Best Buy it paints a different picture. Most of the reviews from consumers give it 4-5 stars out of 5 which is rather impressive. The challenge of the Surface RT is that you can't appreciate its capabilities looking at it in a store for 5 mins where it's easy to do that with an iPad since it's ONLY about the apps. This is why sales of them are better from Microsoft stores where you can really dig into well the Surface works with the staff to help. You go to Best Buy and half the time RT devices aren't working or don't have the keyboard and the staff have no clue. Of course this is soon to change with the new Microsoft & Best Buy deal. I still say the best thing about RT is not having legacy apps to deal with, I've already had to reset my Surface RT to factory due to an issue and I was back up and running within an hour. On my laptop it would be an all day event having to re-install and configure all my legacy apps.

I have had my Surface RT since the day it was available. The updates, including the 8.1 preview, have only made the user experience better. Most of the programs I enjoyed on other platforms (games, etc) are now available in the Microsoft store. The RT has given me zero issues or problems and has worked out as I had hoped. Friends that have tried the Surface really like it. Many use Windows at work and were adopting to the Surface easily. Especially if work had migrated to Win 8 already. I told them to check out the reviews on Amazon and other electronic stores and most reviews were positive. Many of my friends, myself included, had only used Office for Students over the years and never had any problems with documents, etc. This might not be a good analogy, but from what I have used on the Office RT programs has been problem free. I agree with you R0bR that not dealing with the Legacy programs is a blessing.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I have had my Surface RT since the day it was available. The updates, including the 8.1 preview, have only made the user experience better. Most of the programs I enjoyed on other platforms (games, etc) are now available in the Microsoft store. The RT has given me zero issues or problems and has worked out as I had hoped. Friends that have tried the Surface really like it. Many use Windows at work and were adopting to the Surface easily. Especially if work had migrated to Win 8 already. I told them to check out the reviews on Amazon and other electronic stores and most reviews were positive. Many of my friends, myself included, had only used Office for Students over the years and never had any problems with documents, etc. This might not be a good analogy, but from what I have used on the Office RT programs has been problem free. I agree with you R0bR that not dealing with the Legacy programs is a blessing.

I echo this! In fact, I have asked my work people to clear my desk of their computers and to only leave a couple of screens there to which I can hook up the RT. I can do everything - at work - with the RT. And, I still can't see what is causing people problems. But yes, if you have a need for legacy software, then, of course there will be a problem. But that is not a Surface RT-specific problem. That's merely the nature of the platform. Would I buy a Pro? I could if the battery life was better than what it is and if it was cool (to touch) and lighter in weight. But I don't have to. I am quite happy with the Surface RT as things stand - negative reviews be damned!

Johntxk

Well said. My 64 Gig Rt along with Skydrive is a 100% replacement for my windows 7 laptop when I travel. Microsoft Office works flawlessly. As an E-reader it is superior to my iPad Mini. The apps continue to grow and I am only Words With Friends away from bliss.

Seriously, the critics need to layoff. The Surface RT is more like a true PC than an IPad is like a Mac.

True story, if you want to turn a 15 minute job into an hour of agony, do a spread sheet on an iPad.

Jglnaz372

Well said. My 64 Gig Rt along with Skydrive is a 100% replacement for my windows 7 laptop when I travel. Microsoft Office works flawlessly. As an E-reader it is superior to my iPad Mini. The apps continue to grow and I am only Words With Friends away from bliss.

Seriously, the critics need to layoff. The Surface RT is more like a true PC than an IPad is like a Mac.

True story, if you want to turn a 15 minute job into an hour of agony, do a spread sheet on an iPad.

I agree with you 100%. Luckily I was able to ditch using a traditional computer a few years ago once the touch tablets became more user friendly. As I have become older I have had issues with my hands (type of arthritis, nothing bad yet thankfully) and touch screen computing has been a life saver. I was given an iPad as a gift a few years ago while I was still using a Galaxy Tab. The iPad is great for games, Internet browsing, watching Netflix, etc. The office clone type programs are not that user friendly and many were, and still might, be charging $20 for the app and online storage. Once the RT became available I bought it hoping for a closer experience to a typical laptop pc. The free Office apps were welcome and the missing piece I needed. I enjoy technology and using all types of products like Apple, Android, Windows, and as I have posted in the past the more I use the RT, the more I enjoy it. The newer updates and more available apps has only made the experience better.

pallentx

I don't think most people will be able to replace a laptop with a Surface RT (obviously some can), but that is not the market RT is designed for. RT is a far superior replacement for an iPad. It was for me anyway. The only the iPad has going for it as a robust app store. The device itself and iOS is very basic and limited. Its just a shell that launches one app at a time.

Robert1969

Bob here I am new to RT BUT I HAVE TO agree 100% with you KRISTASOLDIER a good REVIEW I just wish that the NEWS MDIA LOOKS
AT IT THAT WAY!!!

Bob