What's new

Question about updates

kristalsoldier

This is with specific reference to the Surface 2. Given that it is a walled garden of sorts, why do we see almost daily Windows Defender updates? I can understand the more vulnerable (because it is essentially an open system) Surface Pro getting these updates. But the Surface 2?

FFX

My guess is that even though the Windows RT can't get infected by viruses(lets say its immune), it could still possibly act as a carrier to infect other devices.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

My guess is that even though the Windows RT can't get infected by viruses(lets say its immune), it could still possibly act as a carrier to infect other devices.

Hmmm...that is possible. Did not think about it that way. I'd rather they issue more firmware updates (though, arguably, MS is doing a good job with its current firmware cadence as of now).

SEANT

Typhoid Mary! Damn. if that is true then IT may still have an incorporation problem.

Omni

The RT is much more secure than x86 systems because no .exe files can run at all. Windows Defender still picks up virus even though there not harmful to Windows RT but like FFX mentioned it could get to another system and infect that.

I like the fact Windows Defender works this way. Can't say Ive actually tested this to be true though!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Defender is more than A/V, it also is tied into SmartScreen and is Anti-Malware. So it is looking for Trojans/malware while surfing the web and malicious behavior. Android is currently the number one target for Malware and it is predominantly an ARM Platform.

Omni

Do you use Windows Defender jnjroach? I do on all my systems and never had any issues. I recommend it to people a lot.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use it on all of my machines except my Pro 2 because it joined to my main client's AD Domain and they use System Center Endpoint (Formally Forefront Endpoint), this is Defender's Enterprise Cousin.

oion

Windows Defender (formerly known as Microsoft Security Essentials, WD replaced MSE in Windows 8) is still the worst possible AV-antimalware you can use on Windows systems in comparison tests. :)

Microsoft's WD solution here falls under the "better than nothing" category, but one of the more common user comments I've seen for that product is simply that because it's made by MS on Windows for Windows, it tends to give a lot fewer compatibility problems than other AV programs. (And it's free, natch.) For power-users who already have other aspects of their usage locked down against attacks (including worms), it's probably fine, but for average users who can be tricked by various things on the internats, a real AV/antimalware solution is better.

Omni

Windows Defender (formerly known as Microsoft Security Essentials, WD replaced MSE in Windows 8) is still the worst possible AV-antimalware you can use on Windows systems in comparison tests. :)

Microsoft's WD solution here falls under the "better than nothing" category, but one of the more common user comments I've seen for that product is simply that because it's made by MS on Windows for Windows, it tends to give a lot fewer compatibility problems than other AV programs. (And it's free, natch.) For power-users who already have other aspects of their usage locked down against attacks (including worms), it's probably fine, but for average users who can be tricked by various things on the internats, a real AV/antimalware solution is better.

I have read bad reports about it but from experience I (and others I know that use it) have had no problems at all.