What's new

Question about VPNs

Arctherus

One of the main reasons I bought a surface was to remote control a computer that I will be buying for programs that demand medium high specs, and will be running multiple windows on screen. My question is not necessarily for the surface itself, but I am wondering how well will my surface be able to keep up via VPN?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
As long as your VPN is PPTP, L2TP, or SSTP you'll find it quite stable, I VPN into work and I'm able to work an 8 hour day using RDP.

OP
A

Arctherus

Even if the windows are changing several times a minute? My only concern is that "too much" will be streaming to the surface, and not keep up.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't had an issue, even using touch. I don't use it to stream music and/or video.

R0bR

Even if the windows are changing several times a minute? My only concern is that "too much" will be streaming to the surface, and not keep up.

If the Surface shows any signs of performance issues visually in the RDP session, it would be due to poor network performance not the Surface itself.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In desktop mode I experience no delay, in the Modern UI it isn't super fluid, but I RDP to use large Pivot Tables, IT tools and to use Outlook 2013 so I'm rarely in the Modern UI. I also use RDP to log into a remote Server and leap frog from there opening up other RDP sessions on the Server I RDP'd into originally :)

Last edited:
OP
A

Arctherus

If I can do something along the lines of this I was be 100% satisfied. lol [video=youtube;7bG9AhMmA6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bG9AhMmA6Q[/video]